Pre-1997 Models

Have some ideas for a build up... suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have some ideas for a build up... suggestions?

Hey, I have 1 1986 F150 that I bought off of a guy from f150net.com or whatever that site is... It has a 4 inch lift, 33's, an AOD and supposedly the HO mustang 302 EFI in it.

I want more power for off roading and pulling (at the truck puills). Now, my friend has a 351W that he's already done some work to...but its carbed. Would i just have to rip everything from the 302 out to put the 351 in? Or, should I just build on the 302? and also, the AOD has been rebuilt with upgraded parts, like borg warner clutches...would it hold up behind the 351? or should I go for the bullet proof c6? any other suggestions for a build?

Sorry for such a messy paragraph... Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:41 PM
i am not so sure that the mustang 302 would be good for pulling considering how different they are tuned and such but a complete reflash of the computer would be a good place to start but i say build on the 302 because i dont think that a carbed engine would pass inspection in a truck of that year

Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 PM
well i dont think the aod trans will work if you really beaf up the engine or stick a different one in. i recommend a c6 or a 4spd. or 5spd manual. i would also build off the 302. i believe if you set the timing to 18 degrees on a 302 you get the maximum stock performance and fuel mileage. how far into the truck are you willing to go? and is it gonna be an everyday driver or just an offroad beater?

Last edited by Matts ford; 07-21-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Well, where I live now, I only have visual emissions, and they are very lenient... And I'm not entirely concerned about the fuel mileage...cause I have a celica to get me around...this is more of my weekend toy for pulling, mudding and cruising.
and like I said, it can be off the road for a while, since i have another car... so i guess to answer the question about how far i'd go into is is far enough to do those three things above but not so crazy that I can't drive around town with it.

Also, if I were to build off of the 302...what type of work would y'all suggest? I was always a sixer up until now, so I'm not so knowledgeable on the V8's...lol

THANKS AGAIN!

Last edited by HillBillyBaja; 07-15-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:09 PM
1) Cylinder heads. Haunt the swap meets and find a pair of "3-line" GT-40 heads or a set of "4-line" GT-40P heads off an Explorer. If you get the P heads, try to snag the exhaust manifolds as well because they will not work with your stock manifolds. Alone or with the right other stuff either of these heads will give a lot of gains and allow a further buildup.

2) Headers. Shorties give as much HP gain as long tubes but long tubes give way more mid-range totque. The P heads take different headers.

3) A high flow cat and a 3" cat-back exhaust

4) An Eddy truck EFI intake and T/B

5) A midrange cam would be obvious except your 86 block isn't roller ready and aftermarket flat tappet cams are becoming problematical with today's oils. Consider a set of 1.7 roller rockers with the stock cam for a nice gain.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:19 AM
I have a stroker kit in my 62 mercury 302 and it has plenty of power, be careful with them gt40 heads if you get the gt40p ones youll have a hell of a time with the upside down manifolds they use, your looking for the gt40x heads which i also have but those ran me around 750 bucks. and as far as your AOD goes get rid of it there junk my merc has a fully biult up C4 and it matches great with my motor i run 13.8s in the quarter and its a 4 door too.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:21 AM
you shouldnt have a problem with the flat tappets use 15-40 delo and youll be golden. considering a roller conversion runs around 1200 bucks!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:16 AM
Forget the GT-40X heads. They're grossly expensive and you don't need aluminum on a truck. Plain old 3-line GT-40s are your best bet and not all that hard to find since a lot of guys who had put them on their Mustangs have upgraded to aluminum.

As for the oil, they're reducing the ZDDP content of Diesel oils as well. Flat tappet cams with high ramp angles are simply no longer a good idea.

A built AOD will handle most anything you throw at it but a stock one cannot. The biggest weak point is that silly two-piece input shaft

Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 AM
"Today 01:16 AM
StrangeRanger Forget the GT-40X heads. They're grossly expensive and you don't need aluminum on a truck. Plain old 3-line GT-40s are your best bet and not all that hard to find since a lot of guys who had put them on their Mustangs have upgraded to aluminum.

As for the oil, they're reducing the ZDDP content of Diesel oils as well. Flat tappet cams with high ramp angles are simply no longer a good idea.

A built AOD will handle most anything you throw at it but a stock one cannot. The biggest weak point is that silly two-piece input shaft"

Do they make any after market headers for the Gt40p heads? Ive looked and hadnt seen any? I mean you are right the gt40x heads are expensive and i would have gone with gt40p heads but i simply couldnt find any headers for them.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Any header that will fit a stock head will bolt up to a 3-line GT-40 or a GT-40P. There is absolutely no issue with sparkplug removal on the GT-40. On the P (as you obviously know) it can be a serious problem. Some brands of headers work, others do not. Ford Racing offers shorty headers that fit stock, GT-40 and GT-40P heads. When in doubt, call the header manufacturer and ask.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
well i dont think the aod trans will work if you really beaf up the engine or stick a different one in. i recommend a c6 or a 4spd. or 5spd manual. i would also build off the 302. i believe if you set the timing to 18 degrees on a 302 you get the maximum stock performance and fuel mileage. how far into the truck are you willing to go? and is it gonna be an everyday driver or just an offroad beater?
I want some of whatever you are smoking. 18*? WOW. Even after a ignition upgrade you only bump the timing to 13.5*.....stock is 10*.....

Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
1) Cylinder heads. Haunt the swap meets and find a pair of "3-line" GT-40 heads or a set of "4-line" GT-40P heads off an Explorer. If you get the P heads, try to snag the exhaust manifolds as well because they will not work with your stock manifolds. Alone or with the right other stuff either of these heads will give a lot of gains and allow a further buildup.

2) Headers. Shorties give as much HP gain as long tubes but long tubes give way more mid-range totque. The P heads take different headers.

3) A high flow cat and a 3" cat-back exhaust

4) An Eddy truck EFI intake and T/B

5) A midrange cam would be obvious except your 86 block isn't roller ready and aftermarket flat tappet cams are becoming problematical with today's oils. Consider a set of 1.7 roller rockers with the stock cam for a nice gain.
Everything there sounds good except #4. The stock 302 intake flows just as much if not more than the aftermarket intakes. The 351 is where you see increases from new intakes.

I would also say use heads that will fit standard shorty headers, then use a 3" y-pipe into a high flow cat, muffler of choice, and then single 3" out the passenger side.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all of that info guys, i appreciate it:-)

I've decided to build off the 302, and to pull the AOD and install a 4 spd manual....I had one in my old sixer, and it was bulletproof Now, another question...When installing the clutch, which size clutch would I be getting? There is a 10 or 11 inch, i believe...

Old 07-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I would skip the T-18 and go for a ZF if you can afford it and find one. Might as well while everything is apart.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Good choice.

EFI 302 > Carb 351

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Have some ideas for a build up... suggestions?