Pre-1997 Models

Another @%^* problem, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another @%^* problem, please help!

92 F150, 5.0, 4spd manual w/overdrive. I don't know what's going on with my truck. All of a sudden, it just started developing problem after problem and they all seem unrelated. The latest seems to be major. It won't run in low gears. It feels like some kind of fuel delivery issue. If I rev the hell out of it and double clutch it up to about 4th gear, I'm fine after that. It's normal at highway speeds. When I slow down, like at a red light, it will either choke down or I'll have to ease into the throttle again to get it to take the gas and then rev the hell out of it to get it moving. Also, when it chokes down, it takes forever to crank back up. Currently it's broken down in front of where I work and I'm not sure how I'm getting it home.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Pull codes. And you have a 5 speed, not a 4 speed

Old 06-10-2008, 06:12 PM
There are no codes and no CEL.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Also, it seems to only do it when it's hot. It's about 97 degrees right now in Charlotte and over the past few days it's been doing this. I've also got another post on here about the radiator and thermostat. Could all of this be related?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Update: Got it to crank back up leaving from work and it runs fine again. It's definitely a heat issue. It seems to run fine until it's hot. The temp. guage reads normal, so I'm replacing the temp. sending unit tonight. If that doesn't fix the problem, does anyone else know what might be causing this?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM
This is what I've done over the past couple of days and I still have the problem. I've replaced the fuel filter, the coolant temp. sensor and the fuel pressure regulator. Then today, I'm sitting at a red light in this Charlotte, NC 97 degree weather and my radiator starts to overflow. So, that tells me it's got to be the thermostat or the fan clutch, right? The fan is constantly running it appears, but is there another way to check it? The thermostat is a no brainer. I'm changing it tomorrow just to be safe. Thanks for all of the replies. -Al

Quick Reply: Another @%^* problem, please help!