Pre-1997 Models

IFS lift, How difficult is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS lift, How difficult is it?

Right now I'm in the market for a '92-96 F150. Been looking at lifts lately and they're far cheaper than I assumed.
How difficult are these to install?
I'm very mechanically inclined, and I'm not new to wheeling, but, I've always seen/done solid axle lifts, so just want to know what I'm getting into before I go through with this.
Is this something I can do in the driveway with average tools?

I'm looking at the RC 6": http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...y-ford4wd7.htm
Looks basically like I utilize most of my stock components and just throw some drop brackets on there, right?
Other than relocating brake lines, what else will I need that's not included in the lift?
Am I going to need new driveshafts also at this height or can I get away with a T-case drop?
Sorry for all the questions, like I said, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting into.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Take a little trip over to www.fullsizebronco.com to get a bizillion step by step photo writeups on exactly how to git er done.

Average tools and yer good to go. Gonna need an alignment though. Tcase stays right where it is, and if I remember right for a 6inch, stock shafts, but don't have the coffee in me yet.

Adrianspeeder

Old 04-06-2008, 10:42 AM
It sounds like you are mechanically inclined enough to find this pretty easy and fun. I put a 3" on my 95 on a driveway that is incline to about 20 degrees. I didn't have to put on everything that the 6 incher requires but they are pretty similar. So if you have a flat place it should be easy. You have probably read what parts come with the lift and have figured out (at least in your head) where they are going to go. There is a resent post that was asking about lifts and there was someone that was suggesting that these trucks should always go with longer radius arms. He had a problem with the 4" radius arm drop brackets cracked his frame. The frame was also cracked at the steering box though. This might be something to keep in mind. I haven't heard of this being a huge problem though. I have had the drop brackets and not longer arms for a long time so my opinion is that he wheeled a little to hard or he already has something going wrong. It was posted in the forum under "96" lift problems" or something like that if you want to check it out.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:59 PM
I just did a 4" suspension lift on my 92 about two months ago. The hardest part of the whole lift was grinding the rivets off the factory brackets in the front. I hear it's a lot easier with a torch but I didn't have one. The new brackets will bolt right on no problem. I went with superlift and everything I needed came with the kit.

Quick Reply: IFS lift, How difficult is it?