Pre-1997 Models

'93 F-150 SuperCab 4x4 5.8L

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 F-150 SuperCab 4x4 5.8L

Hi all,

This past week my truck started having issues that seemed to be starter related. As the week went along, I was able to start the truck by moving the gear selector. Today on the way home I picked up a new starter and as I was in Napa I left the truck running, now I came out, got in and went to backup and the truck didn't want to move, I opened the windows to see if I could hear anything and I smelled a very strong friction/rubbing oder. Any ideas, seems to be related to the 4x4 drive system?

Old 03-17-2008, 07:20 AM
need more info.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Is it a standard or automatic? What you described kinda sounds like a bad clutch and a bad clutch switch on the pedal.

If it's an auto I'd say if jiggling the gear selector got it going, the shift arm sensor is going bad, it's a somewhat common problem. I think there was a recall or something about them for water getting in from a bad seal. Get under the truck and look on the driver's side of the slushbox, where the shifter cable hooks to the shift arm on the box. Should be a plastic thingy about the size of a deck of cards mounted to the arm's pivot, that's the sensor. If it goes bad it'll give wrong readings to the ECU about what gear the truck is in, which can cause all sorts of odd problems. There's a way to check it with an ohm meter, different gear positions give different resistance readings.

A "friction" smell? Like what? Burning rubber, burning paper, burning oil/fluid?

Ever change your t-case fluid? You should, nobody ever does though. Pull the bottom drain out with a 3/8 socket driver. It should drain about 2 quarts. Any more, and the seal between the tranny and t-case is gone, and the fluid is leaking between the two. Bad news, but not an immediate problem.

Quick Reply: '93 F-150 SuperCab 4x4 5.8L