Pre-1997 Models

SeaFoam

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SeaFoam

I've just recently been turned on to this stuff by a friend. I was wondering if it was worth purchasing and trying out in my fuel system.

I'm also wondering if I run any risks of putting some SeaFoam into my fuel. My truck was poorly neglected by the previous owner (it was a beater farm truck) and never really had much maintenance. I was wondering if SeaFoam may be too much of a shock to this system and cause it to fail...?

Old 01-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by United
I've just recently been turned on to this stuff by a friend. I was wondering if it was worth purchasing and trying out in my fuel system.

I'm also wondering if I run any risks of putting some SeaFoam into my fuel. My truck was poorly neglected by the previous owner (it was a beater farm truck) and never really had much maintenance. I was wondering if SeaFoam may be too much of a shock to this system and cause it to fail...?
Read this post...
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hlight=seafoam

Then type in seafoam into the search to find out more info.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Suspended
Hope that helps...It is best to read ALL that you can in this forum before doing anything to your truck

Old 01-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Ah, thanks. Don't know why I didn't think to use the search. Thanks for the link!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Just be careful sucking it into the brake booster line, it can suck the stuff in too fast and hydrolock the motor. Either start the motor, then take the booster line off and let it slowly slurp the seafoam out.

It seemed to make the idle a little smoother on my 351, the more it smokes the more crap it cleaned out.

Putting it in the gas tank dilutes it too much to have much effect, and people say it clogs fuel filters as well.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Not sure where the break booster is, I am still learning about working on cars and stuff... Could somebody please show me a picture and point out where you suck it down the break booster? I am not quite sure on the f150. I'm driving an I6 if that helps, all I know is that I might as well try... My idle is getting kinda jumpy.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by RaWarrior
Just be careful sucking it into the brake booster line, it can suck the stuff in too fast and hydrolock the motor. Either start the motor, then take the booster line off and let it slowly slurp the seafoam out.

It seemed to make the idle a little smoother on my 351, the more it smokes the more crap it cleaned out.

Putting it in the gas tank dilutes it too much to have much effect, and people say it clogs fuel filters as well.
Ok first off, no where does it say to let it suck the SeaFoam. You POUR it into the line. Kinda like the instructions say

Second off, how do you plan on cleaning the fuel injectors without running a can through the tank? And the idea of a fuel system CLEANER clogging fuel filters is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Originally Posted by buzzsaw714
Not sure where the break booster is, I am still learning about working on cars and stuff... Could somebody please show me a picture and point out where you suck it down the break booster? I am not quite sure on the f150. I'm driving an I6 if that helps, all I know is that I might as well try... My idle is getting kinda jumpy.
The brake booster is located on the firewall, behind the brake master cylinder. It is a big black round thing. There should be a vaccum line going from it to the intake. That is the line you use.

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Seafoam was great for me! I have a lot smoother idle now and there was A LOT of smoke that came out of my exhaust. It does seem to run better now though

Old 01-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by buzzsaw714
My idle is getting kinda jumpy.
Clean your Idle air control valve(attached to throttle body) this is likely the cause of your idle problems.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:30 PM
If you've ever seen the inside of an old gas tank, it's full of grime/deposits that are caked on there well enough they don't cause problems in normal use. Espically if the truck ever sat for a while, all the gum and varnish causes problems later. Seafoam is a pretty powerful cleaning agent, and when added to the gas tank breaks up a lot of grime/crap, sending it all from the tank to the fuel filter. Thus, the fuel filter clogs. It's not difficult logic. Also check around other seafoam threads before you mouth off that changing the fuel filter is the stupidest thing ever, you'll find countless people that got clogged filters after running it.

Running the engine with a main vacuum line open is a bad idea, and it makes a loud-*** whining noise too. I didn't use the brake booster line, it was too hard to get off the cylinder, found a length of tubing that fit an empty nozzle on the tree, then put the end in the can and clamped the hose off. Started the truck, slowly loosened the clamp so it could slowly slurp it up.

People run seafoam as an easy though not as effective way of cleaning out the TB. It helps but certainly not equivalent to a real cleaning job.

Cheapo "gas treatment" cleaners are next to worthless, I've never gotten any result whatsoever from running them, in anything motorized. K-100 is good for boats and clearing out water, but other than that it's wasting money IMO. They don't clean your injectors, or anything else. Another marketing ploy, to convince people they need to run a can of this every other fill up otherwise their car will perform horribly and require costly repairs.

The brake booster is the big black stubby cylinder right behind the master cylinder(has the reservoir of brake fluid sitting on top of it). There's a fairly large black vacuum line running out of it that attaches to the manifold's vacuum tree. The cylinder has a big disc inside of it, sealed on one side. When you step on the brakes, the disc moves enough to allow vacuum from the engine to enter, pulling the disc out, helping you push the brake pedal. If you turn off the motor, you'll notice the brake pedal is easy to push once or twice, after that it gets a lot harder since all the vacuum is used up. The brakes still function fine, it's just much harder to press.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I would by the whole theory of Seafoam breaking loose years of deposits in a gas tank since anything is possible, but it just doesnt add up. IIRC, it comes in an 8 ounce can. If you use it like it says, and add it when the truck is at half a tank, then fill the tank up, your fuel to seafoam ratio is staggering. That being said, all of the seafoam that is in the tank isnt even making contact with the tank walls. Being as dilutted as it is, I dont see it breaking loose anything big enough to clog the filter.

Also, how do you propose that you clean the injectors themselves without running cleaner through the tank?

There is nothing wrong with pulling that line to POUR the seafoam in. The engine is just going to idle high while it is off. It even tells you to use that line on the can.

Last edited by GTRider245; 01-11-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I like GB44k myself... it works wonders... but Seafoam is just as good.

Quick Reply: SeaFoam