Pre-1997 Models

Wreck!! Is it worth it to try and fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if that was my truck i would i mean if like the truck as like a meaning to u or u know some sorta of value thats not money then i would plus its a beautiful truck

Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 AM
oh, another thing, guy's infront of me insurance called and said that i was responsible, i was told by some other people that if he slamed on his brakes that it was partially his fault, if its his fault, his insurance will pay for my truck if its mine, my insurance goes up and my truck is stilled effed. does anybody no if there's a law or something?

Old 11-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Suspended
Get a lawyer.

*******s these days will try to get every penny out of you they can. If you can prove it was his fault, he can pay for it!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM
ok, the offical estimate is $2,875, thats using used parts and its $750 to paint the freaking hood, but all in all that not as bad as i thought it might be, and that price could possibly go down if the radiator and the core is ok, but i doubt it, heres the pics:

Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 PM

so, wat do ya guys think?? Everything under the hood, that i know of, is sound, except for the fan, fan shrouds, etc. a whole used front end from a junkyard is 810$, but id raither let a professional do it once and do it right and i have a problem with it, i can let him deal with it. And we've still gotta take the bumper off and make sure the frame's not bent, if its bent, screw it, really the only thing i could see under the hood was the battery & box got pushed in and is at 70 angle towards the front, but im hoping thats it.

Last edited by reyncreed; 11-04-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I'd say get a junker from the same year and rebuilt it. It looks as if it is only minor engine work and mostly body work. Do you got a picture with the hood up?

Anyhow, why not do some radiator upgrades and A/C condensor upgrades... if you need a new fan, get a nice fan, or get some Troyer electic fans... As far as the body work, just get some panels off another F150, bring it to a paint shop, let them paint them. You take them home, and bolt them up, and you'd be golden.

However, you will probably have to straighten some things out. But if you got the right tools, you can do it.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fix your baby. I personall would go the junkyard route. My dad did the same thing in his 77 SS El Camino. They were stopped and he was at 60 mph when he hit. $250 later, I had a whole new front clip (including radiator/support) from a junkyard. They just made me pull it myself.

any panel off a 92-96 F-150, and the panels off a 92-97 F-250/350 will also fit.

your parts list looks pretty small. hood, rh fender, grill and fascia, radiator and support

What the heck did you rear-end?

BTW, if you rear-end someone, you are automatically liable. No question, Do Not Pass Go and Collect $200

Old 11-05-2007, 03:03 PM
"Though I Walk Through The Valley Of Rice, I Shall Fear No Turbo, For Torque Art With Me. . . " - i like. a hit a stinkin 04 gmc sierra quad cab, the only thing that happened to him was a bent bumper and a dented tail gate, that ticked me off but you know. there was 6 pages of parts, lots of little crap. radiator mounting brackets etc... i can post it if u want. i think im gonna go ahead and let him fix it, id rather have a professional do it and do it right the first time then me screwing around with it, it'd never get done. and the estimate is 2.800- not too bad

Last edited by reyncreed; 11-05-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:32 PM
trust me those other vehicular devices next to your truck look alot worse! AHAHAH and so did my accord! Keep it! I regret not keeping my vehicle But the frame was bent though.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as long as you're happy with the end result...me, I'm a cheap b*st*rd. and I actually like to do alot of wrenching...I guess $2500? ain't to bad for all the work + paint

Old 11-05-2007, 09:30 PM
To me, the question is, could you replace the truck, given what you know about its reliability and looks, for the repair cost? When you buy a used vehicle, you're always taking the chance that you're buying someone else's headache.

I don't know about the A/C condenser - may throw a set of refrigerant gauges on the system to see if it still has pressure. While the pics show fin damage, don't really see anything offhand that suggests the tubing was punctured. If the system is still intact, you can get fin-straighteners, or I've had moderate luck with 'combing' the fins with a wire brush. Don't know about the radiator if it got pushed into the fan, but I suppose visible coolant streaming down those fins would be a bad sign.

That truck looks way too nice to just give up on. Even if there is some slight frame damage, that may be able to be corrected enough to get the sheet metal to hang straight.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 PM
i aint worried about the sheet metal hanging straight, if the frames bent ill be going through tires ever 10,000miles and it'll pull to one side. i guess we'll see when the bumper comes off. but, i mean, the truck was pretty much prefect, always started never stalled, purred like a kitten, gas mileage sucked, but hey! its a truck,

Last edited by reyncreed; 11-05-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Ya, if you rear-end someone else, it's automatically your fault in the insurance company's eyes. They just parrot "you were following too closely". They say for every 10mph of speed you should be at least 1 car legenth away from the car in front of you....right...like that happens. Even if you were, they say you must have neglected your brake system....ect. The BS goes on an on, insurance has literally a book full of it.

Good and bad the sierra didn't have a trailer hitch sticking out. In many states it's illegal to have a drawbar in the hitch, with no trailer, which you could play up to your advantage. Bad, it probably would have poked a big hole in your radiator.

I know the feeling looking at ruined property. My mother's Acura( transmission serviced at Midas the day before, hmmm) blew up in the garage where I was storing my snowmobiles, taking the garage and everything in it as well.

I feel for ya man...

Old 11-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by RaWarrior
Ya, if you rear-end someone else, it's automatically your fault in the insurance company's eyes. They just parrot "you were following too closely". They say for every 10mph of speed you should be at least 1 car legenth away from the car in front of you....right...like that happens. Even if you were, they say you must have neglected your brake system....ect. The BS goes on an on, insurance has literally a book full of it.

Good and bad the sierra didn't have a trailer hitch sticking out. In many states it's illegal to have a drawbar in the hitch, with no trailer, which you could play up to your advantage. Bad, it probably would have poked a big hole in your radiator.

I know the feeling looking at ruined property. My mother's Acura( transmission serviced at Midas the day before, hmmm) blew up in the garage where I was storing my snowmobiles, taking the garage and everything in it as well.

I feel for ya man...

owned

Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Holy Crap dude, id be up midas' a$$. thats just retarded

Quick Reply: Wreck!! Is it worth it to try and fix it?