Pre-1997 Models

Shifter linkage ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok well this looks like it should be an easy fix, I thought it was something internally. man I feel a lot better.. Anyway.. where is this part found at? only online, or would Napa or someone have it? Autozone, Advance, Oriley's, Napa are the parts stores around here FYI. Thanks!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Ok.. well I think the problem is this.. I talked to my neighbor who worked for Ford as a mechanic, and he thinks that below that peice in the pic, and below those 2 (now mangled) little thin washers, there was some plastic peice around that ball. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Is something missing around that ball there?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Well this is whats missing. I got my 1992 Ford Service CD, and looked at an exploded view of the tranny. This is what I was missing.

The guy at the parts counter said, "you need 2 of those sleeves?" as soon as he seen the number. Obviously this is a common problem. Evidentally I lost both of them to the gears. Time to change the fluid. What kind of fluid do these take anyway? My SHO takes ATF oddly enough, I can't imagine the truck would tho. ?

Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 AM
Mercon or equivalent.
You might want to consider one of the synthetic ATF replacements designed for manual trannies like Redline MTL or Royal Purple SynchroMax.

While you're at it, check the rubber plugs at the rear of the shift tower. they tend to crack and or even fall out causing a catastrophic loss of tranny fluid. They are a known problem area on these trannies

Old 08-15-2007, 05:35 AM
Ok cool, yea that kind of dosent suprise me with the ATF fluid. But with that truck and it taking 7.2 quarts or whatever it was.. is a lotta R.P. I drove it to work yesterday, and it was acting fine. But I'll have to look into those seals your talking about. I'm guessing its a plug in that 'rectangular box' that holds the shifter? I'd like to replace that before I fill it up with $40 worth of fluid.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Sloppy Shifter

I just noticed your thread on sloppy shifters. I have an '88 F150 that the shifter just got loose as heck this past weekend. I had to start off in 2nd and shift to fifth to get home. What a pain.

I will go home tonight and check out which tranny I have as well as look for the missing plastic pieces. Were you able to replace yours yet??

ORT-2

Old 08-24-2007, 03:29 AM
Oh yea, went in easy as pie. You may need the metal washer looking springs if you demolished them beyond repair. I had to bend mine back into place.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Loose Shifter

I did confirm that I have the Mazda Transmission in my '88 F-150 4x4. Here is my shifter.

Is this the same issue that you had on your tranny?? Do I just need those two plastic pieces and if so, do they go on top of the ball?? Right now, the black piece is a rubber piece that flexes when the shifter moves.

Let me know your thoughts. Do you know how to separate the ball from the shifter??

Thanks a ton!!

ORT-2

Old 08-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Truck

Here is a picture of the truck. Ain't she a beauty. Bought her for $1300 a year ago and then rebuilt the 302 Engine.

ORT-2

Old 08-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Yea kind of a lot like mine.. got it cheap but I got a 300, so I haven't had to rebuild it.. lol maybe someday.. 235,000 on the oriigional rings and rod / main bearings.. still has good oil pressure.. ? Can't be mad at it..

Anyway, I'd hammer that stud outta that shifter, then pry that top part off there, that shifter ball deal should come apart. Pry those 2 tabs apart and it should come off easy. And that little metal thing.. There should be 4 of those. One is more of a spring, and the other has tabs on it that hook onto those notches in the plastic peices. I shoulda kept that picture I had of all the part numbers.... But ask your Ford dealer, they should know what you need.

And.. those plastic peices, one is on top of the ball and the other is below. 2 of those metal washer deals goes on top, and the other 2 below the lower plastic bushing. And if your shifter pulled out without you having to remove or tap out any pin, I'd say you probally lost it .. I'd look for another if I were u.

Quick Reply: Shifter linkage ?