Pre-1997 Models

Vacuum lines suck

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum lines suck

well it is time to replace all of the hoses on my 95 efi I 6 before they give me trouble. I want to replace the vacuum lines also but Ford had to make most of them so they are deferent sizes on each end. this really complicates things. I have been 3 days on the INTERNET trying to find these things and no luck. can anyone give me a clue.

thanks
Bruce

Old 02-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't mess with anything that's working.

When one cracks, just slip a 1" section of rubber vacuum hose over it to reseal it, & let it be. If a large chunk degrades, cut it out & replace it with rubber hose. If it catches fire, replace each one with rubber hose or hard plastic lines, which Ford sells by the foot in black only. Some people use steel brake/fuel tubing to replace them, but I think that's overkill.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by Steve83
Some people use steel brake/fuel tubing to replace them, but I think that's overkill.
Some people use steel braided line, too, but yeah, it might be overkill. It's just something the racer in me insists on. lol.

Steve is right; if it works, don't fix it.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:17 AM
if it works, don't fix it. I'm sorry I just cant afford to do that , I need to fix things before they brake and and 12 year old hoses are not worth the gamble.

Wow that SS hose really looks nice. but you have a few more to go. it looks like you have changed the same ones I have. There are a lot of them.

there is no such thing as Over kill in Baja

Last edited by Bruce R Leech; 02-23-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bruce R Leech
if it works, don't fix it. I'm sorry I just cant afford to do that , I need to fix things before they brake and and 12 year old hoses are not worth the gamble.

Wow that SS hose really looks nice. but you have a few more to go. it looks like you have changed the same ones I have. There are a lot of them.

there is no such thing as Over kill in Baja
Alright, you want to know what to do? It's a bit of overkill, but so is doing it in the first place, so might as well. Go to your local auto parts store, or go online, and get a roll of 7/64", 1/8", and 5/32" vacuum hose. They come in 25' rolls for around $10 each. Then start replacing the hoses one at a time. Those three sizes will cover 95% of your needs. You may not use more than a few feet of one size or another, but it's better to be safe than sorry, and it's never a bad idea to have extra vacuum hose in your toolbox. If you find a hose that's larger, measure it's inside diameter and length, and buy a replacement accordingly.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A leak in a vacuum line won't cause an instantaneous catastrophic failure, but crossing them by replacing them en-masse can create more trouble than it's worth, IMO. If you're dead-set on doing it, just take your time & be VERY careful to get them routed properly.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Steve83
A leak in a vacuum line won't cause an instantaneous catastrophic failure, but crossing them by replacing them en-masse can create more trouble than it's worth, IMO. If you're dead-set on doing it, just take your time & be VERY careful to get them routed properly.
that is the way I do it. I change 1 or 2 each day and drive it. that way if I do something wrong I notice it and know right where to look for the trouble.

Quick Reply: Vacuum lines suck