Pre-1997 Models

ignition switch problem??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ignition switch problem??

have a 95 f-150XL v6 it starts fine but when you turn the back to shut if off nothing happens. So i changed the ignition switch but, its not the switch. Now i see when i turn the key there is a white PLASTIC square rod that moves along the steering column. So in order to shut it off I have to jam a screwdriver in to push this rod up and it shuts off. O.K. now is this rod one full piece that is now broken? or is it just disconnected somewhere? And what is it called so i don't look stupid at the parts store.

Please Help!!!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You won't find it at a parts store, and Ford probably won't sell it, either. It's an internal part of the steering column, requiring extensive disassembly to replace, and they'd be partially liable if you put it back together wrong & got killed, or killed someone.

Just snag a whole column from a JY - there are MANY vehicles that use the same one, even though they may look VERY different. Look thru these pics & diagrams.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Check at the bottom of the steering column or around the middle. Thats where they put the switch in the older trucks. The rod that activates the ign switch may have come off. And you should be able to buy that part from a rord dealer. I have installed a few of them myself.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:38 PM
o.k. But is there a way to do this without dealing with the air bag or taking the steering column apart completly? It is disconnected somewhere there but hard to tell how deep i would have to go to get to the @*%#$ thing?

thanx!!

Old 12-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A) You don't have to "deal with" the airbag. It's totally safe. Pull the 4 nuts, pull it off the wheel, & disconnect it - NOTHING to it. Just store it UNDER the truck, face UP for safety.

B) You'd have to go VERY deep. Just swap the whole column. It's very rare for that part to break, so you won't have to worry about it again.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Thumbs up

Well fixed-er!! I took the colunm out took it inside took it all apart and the pin holding the two plastic parts together was not connected, so connected it and put it together everything is J.F.L. thanx for all the help.

Quick Reply: ignition switch problem??