Pre-1997 Models

Fender Removal / Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fender Removal / Replacement

Searched to no avail on this subject.... can someone please describe the procedure of removing and then replacing a front fender (87 150). My truck is pretty rusty, so I'm wondering if I will run into a lot of other pitfalls along the way. Looking for brief description of process and an estimate on time (for 1st timer and vs. someone experienced). If you are feeling extra generous and what to also describe process to remove/replace bed and bumpers and lower front clip part I'm also intereted in learning about that too.... but fender is primary need.

THANKS.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Its pretty easy, just nuts and bolts. If your fender is rusted out you will run into rusted bolts that are probably going to break off, especially the ones on the bottom of the fender near the door. Most of the bolts are easy to find just keep taking bolts out till the fender falls off

-Jon

Old 11-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Which side? More electrical stuff to take off first on the pass side, but not too bad.

Pretty straight forward, haven't personally done 87-91 yet, but a big socket set and some screwdrivers will undo everything.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Okay this may show my newbieness (never pulled/replaced a fender). If we assume this:

- I have good bolts from the donor truck when I pull the donor fender
- I had significant trouble removing the bolts/fender from the truck I'm fixing (i.e. rust problems).

Is is likely that I may have caused so much damage that I will have trouble inserting/tightening the new bolts / new fender (I'm assuming that the nuts for welded in place?)?

Old 11-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Those bottom Bolts down near the door are the only ones i usually have trouble with. If it snaps off you can just drill it out and use a nut and bolt. Or drill a new hole next to it. Actually you might want to start spraying that bolt with penetrating oil a day or 2 before you do the job and it might come right out for you. I dont think things are going to get so screwed up that you wont be able to get the fender on and have it drivable.

BTW if i remember correctly there may be 1 or 2 bolts that are kind of hidden and you will have to take out the headlight and turn signal lens to get to. I dont remember exactly where they are, its been about 5 years since i've done it.

-Jon

Quick Reply: Fender Removal / Replacement