Pre-1997 Models

more go from the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more go from the 5.0

whats up everybody, i want my truck to have a lil more *****, it already goes , even my friends with mustangs says it goes but i want more of course, i was thinkin of eliminating smog( i don't care it will fail emissions anyway), and i'm looking for a e fan off a 3.8 tarus. i already modded my air box, put a 3in single exhaust all the way back w/ a high flow cat.. i don't have the $$ for headers so i'm putting that one on the backburner, what else to do as minor work...pulleys...? if some one can help me with some ideas i would appreciate that greatly...thanks to al BTW its a 1987 2wd 302 4spd w/ a 3in lift long bed and 31x10.5x15 tires... thanks again

Old 08-31-2006, 04:44 PM
To get more "go" outta you 302, the first thing you should do is Dual the exhaust with a "X" pipe front to back, then upgrade the fuel system. New regulator and higher PSI fuel injectors. then you should get a Upper intake from a 5.0L mustang from a junk yard. Make a Plenum gasket for it and bolt it on. You will have to devise a air breathing system as for the truck one will not work. That is where I would start...aside from tearing into the motor that is!
Good Luck.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:44 PM
You screwed up on modifying your air box you were better off to add ram air. Exaust really is not going to gain you any notible power (probably losses). What I would do is have it custom tured and it would probably cost you in the area of 300. Thats the best bang for the buck. Both pullies and e-fans do very little. The only way to get good power out of these trucks is heads, cams, and maf for bigger cam.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:09 PM
cool i appreciate all the help i guess it's time to shell out the money for headers thanks again

Old 09-01-2006, 03:02 PM
i didn't want to make another thread so what about the upper intake manifold from a mustang b/c i have one in my attic and i was going to port it and clean it up it but i was told not to by a few people here on the site. so what about it, will i have a lil more breathing outta it..please let me get some opinions on this b/c then i could do a nice intake thanks again waiting to hear some responses

Old 09-01-2006, 08:37 PM
If you want serious power add heads, intake, cam, and custom tune. But you dont have that money so heres what you do, go to summit and buy some 85.00 headers then take and advance the timing at the cam a degree or two and next at the ignition maybe 10-12 degrees. From there you could port and polish the heads and intake if you have lots of time and are good with metal.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a big e-fans fan, as I definately felt some gains there. However, I agree wholeheartedly that the custom tuning is the biggest bang for your buck, with better gas mileage too.

As for modding the MAF, how's that work? Do you buy a new one? I'm having a motor built up with the E303 cam, and GT40 heads, so I might want to look into the MAF.

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2006, 08:22 PM
These trucks have the speed density set up. So a mass air flow is nessicary to give the computer a good reading for F/A ratios. I believe some cheap power could be made via gears and Limited slip diff. Do you have 3.08s or 3.55s? Also does your engine have rocker rollers? Ive heard of people gaining 10-20 hp with rocker rollers.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Ive got an 88 5.0 with underdrive pulleys, geardrive, MSD ignition, and 4:30 gears. Ive also gutted the cats. The biggest gains ive got is from the gears and since im running a gear drive ive locked the timing in at 23 degrees advanced, and took off my knock sensor. Ive got a pair of ported and polished heads, flowtech long tube headers, and a crane cam waiting to be bolted in but i dont have the money for the mass-air conversion. The main thing you should do is convert the speed-density to mass-air, that sets the foundation for all of the other modifications and sstill keep the streetability. Do you plan on racing with the 5.0 or do you just want a STRONG street/strip engine?

Old 09-07-2006, 01:09 PM
i ordered a powerdyne TB spacer a few nights ago...should be here in the next day or so....next are pulley's, i found an e fan at my buddies shop from a pontiac so i'll put it to good use...i also got a true dual exhaust system with an x-pipe and cat priced out for like 350...exhaust will be around thanksgiving

Last edited by inline6dude; 09-12-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Hay inline6dude , do you have any pics of your truck? thanks alot

Quick Reply: more go from the 5.0