Pre-1997 Models

Stalling while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling while driving

Hi everyone. I have a 1995 f-150 with the 4.9L 6 cyl. It has approx. 220,000 miles on it, standard 5 speed transmission. For over a year now, i have experienced intermittent stalling problems. There is no rhyme or reason to it, happens at any speed (tho usually during acceleration), in any gear, at any temperature, and after different lengths of driving time. Sometimes it will go weeks without doing it, sometimes just an hour or so. It dies, then will crank but not start, then usually starts again after a few hours. When the problem occurs, there are usually a few short "jerks" just before dying. So far, i have replaced the fuel filter, the rotor, distributor cap, spark plugs, ignition coil, and ignition control module, and also have run a few gasoline additives through it that claimed to clean the injectors. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or even if anyone has any suggestions as to what to try next. Its been a great truck for me since i bought it in '98, though i have had to replace the timing gear a few times. I really can't afford to take it to a mechanic, but i can't afford to keep throwing parts at it either. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, and thanks ahead of time!

Old 05-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you checked to see if there are any stored codes? They would help.

Carry an extra spark plug around with you, and the next time it stalls and won't restart, pull a plug wire and stick your spare plug in the end, rest it on a solid piece of metal (engine, bracket, frame, etc.), and have a friend try and start it. Watch the plug for sparks. If it sparks but won't start, it's probably a fuel issue. If there is no spark, it's an ignition issue. Narrowing down the possibilities makes it much easier.

Quick Reply: Stalling while driving