Pre-1997 Models

Help with an 88

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with an 88

Need some help with wrenchin' on my 88. Need to pull the headlights. Not the bulbs, but the whole sodding thing, since, according to the State of Virginia, I need new ones. How do I go about doing this? I guess they are the "aerodynamic" ones... look like big slabs of plastic to me. Also, I can only get the 4WD system into 4WH. The floor-mounted shifter won't go over to Neutral or 4WL. Any ideas? And my gas gauge does funny things. I fill up... it won't move for a few days, then goes bouncing all over the place. Both tanks misbehave equally. Do I need a new sender, or new tanks? Any help for a newbie would be appreciated.

Old 12-04-2005, 06:51 PM
im not sure on the headlight but i think you gotta remove the grille take out some screws and remove whatever else untill it comes out, for the 4wd id say your lever is froze up, i had the same problem with my 1996, the owner before me never used 4 low or nuetral so it just wouldnt go in, i used PB blaster and a torch to get it movin again
i dont know about the tanks but good luck

Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 PM
My brother n law had the same problem on his 4x4 shift lever and a mechanic told me to have him remove the boot and pour a quart of oil onto it and we did and he drove it another 10 years and never had any more problems outta it..