Pre-1997 Models

clunking and grinding...need help

Old 07-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunking and grinding...need help

I have a 91 f150 4x4 5.0 auto. It makes a grinding noise after i go a few hundred feet and when i slow to a stop it clunks a few times. Then it dosn't do anything for another hundred feet then it starts back up again. I have no idea what it could be....i'm gona check the brakes tonight but i doubt that's it. I am also going to check the fluid levels on everything. Any clues? I need this as a back up truck right now because my ranger has some transmission/clutch problems. Please help...any suggestions are very appreciated.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:43 PM
What area of the truck is it coming from, front? rear? i'm thinking differential or a front axle joint.

-Jon

Old 07-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmmm.... my guess ( sorry it really only is a guess ) drive-shaft universal joint(s)....

Old 07-29-2005, 10:08 PM
I haven't driven it enough to pinpoint the noise. I took the rear tires off and checked the drums....both had a broken cable, and one drum was extremely hard to get off. Not sure if that was related to the problem though but just another thing i have to fix now. I haven't checked the fluid levels yet, the brakes took up most of the day. The drive shaft seems to be fine, but i'm not sure.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:10 PM
The driver side drum was the hard one to get off. Now i can't get it back on becaust the shoes won't go back into place. I'll have to work on it more tomorow, do you think this could have been the problem?

Old 08-01-2005, 12:26 AM
Well....i managed to fix the brakes, something wasn't in it's place and i put it back and it all went back to normal. But it still makes the noise. I took it for a 10 mile ride and it made the noise like it always does until i got it up to road speed, then it stopped and it didn't do that at all after that. I don't know what it could be. If i took it for a ride tomorow i bet it would still make the noise. I'm not near the truck and won't be for a while, i'm on vacation. I still need some input on what this could be.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Ok guys.....i figured it out. I took a ride in it today and heard the grinding noise most of the way, I stopped and took a look around....and i thought i heard the sound coming from the front passenger side. Sure enough, i felt the auto hub and it was freakin hot. I don't know if it's the hub or wheel bearing or what, but i need to do something with it to make it driveable, my ranger is either going to be getting fixed for a week or two or it's going to the junk yard. This is my only other vehicle right now and i need to be able to drive it. Can i take it appart but still make it driveable? The whole wheel was hotter that hell so that tells me something is seriously wrong in there, i will get to working on it later tonight or tomorow, but i need to know what i can do for a temporary fix until i can get to really fixing it when i have a second vehicle again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clunking and grinding...need help