Pre-1997 Models

1993 F-150 4.9L Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 F-150 4.9L Questions

I am a newb, and had some questions about my truck. First, what is the biggest tire size I can go on the stock suspension (4x4 w/out a lift)? Second, the truck has a bad vibration when I get to about 60 mph. It is real bad if I give it just a little throttle, but it is smooth at any speed lower than that. The truck is also throwing an EGR code. It doesn't run bad, but is there a way to by-pass this? Finally, are these good trucks? I am new at owning a Ford and just wondered if someone could help me out or let me know if these trucks are prone to anything in particular. Thank you guys.

Benji

Old 06-25-2005, 01:05 PM
oh yea

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new truck, dont get disheartened this early with your engine throwing a code. The 4.9 engine is pretty much bulletproof. Go to autozone or oreillys whatever you prefer and have them tell you what the code means and what can be done to fix it. In the front you can fit 31 x 10.50 tires with very little rub and in the rear if you wanted you could stuff in up to 35s. After you get the tires make sure you get it aligned properly or you will have uneven wear on your front tires and they will be a waste. As for the shudder an alignment may also fix your problem but you might want to look into your front tie rods and or drag links you could have bad joints.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:27 PM
all of it

hey man, your truck is great. i've got a 93 f-150 (albeit only 4x2). my uncle had my truck in 4x4 and it was tough. i've beat this poor guy up and he keeps on starting.

mine is throwing two codes at me right now. if you want to test the codes yourself code test is the place to go. i just got done checking mine with nothing more than some wire and a volt-meter.

these things really are bulletproof. just keep an eye on seals and gaskets. apparently these trucks all end up having some kind of gasket leak.

don't expect too much on gas mileage or crazy get-up and go. but they'll last forever.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by joneberger
hey man, your truck is great. i've got a 93 f-150 (albeit only 4x2). my uncle had my truck in 4x4 and it was tough. i've beat this poor guy up and he keeps on starting.

mine is throwing two codes at me right now. if you want to test the codes yourself code test is the place to go. i just got done checking mine with nothing more than some wire and a volt-meter.

these things really are bulletproof. just keep an eye on seals and gaskets. apparently these trucks all end up having some kind of gasket leak.

don't expect too much on gas mileage or crazy get-up and go. but they'll last forever.
Well... I "almost" beg to differ.. I have been beating on my truck all week, to see how bad i can get my mileage. Barking the tires into second, and nothing short of 70 mph on the highway. And I'm still getting 18.5 mpg on 87 octane. I can't understand what I did so right but it sure does work! maybe i have a very low rear end gear ratio? Any idea's ? 89 Custom 4.9L 5 Speed.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
18.5 is very good.

Benji, first, welcome to the site! You have bought the best possible truck you can. It's built Ford tough!

Once you get the code read, we can help you get whatever is causing it straightend out. The 300 inline six is one of the toughest engines ford made, and if you have oil, gas, and water, it WILL get you home. I'm only sad my current fleet doesn't have a 300, but I have beat on them in the past.

Your vibration could be several things, but I would first try tires. Looks like you want new ones anyway. If your not lookin for overly huge, but good sized, all terrain, long lasting (70K+) truck tires, I have had really good luck with Michelin LTX AT's. You can see them on my 92 bronco and 97 F150 pics. I have also just put them onto my new 88 bronco. Very nice, but kinda $$$.

Any more questions, please just ask

Adrianspeeder

Old 06-29-2005, 12:41 AM
if its only vibrating when you give it gas it could be your torque converter or your transmission. on mone it was the whole tranny. it still worked ok but i got it rebuilt anyway cuz i couldnt keep it in OD at 70 without a vibration and then it would just slow down.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Provided he has a slushbox...

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: 1993 F-150 4.9L Questions