Pre-1997 Models

Got myself a '90, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got myself a '90, have some questions

Hi all,

I just bought a 1990 F-150 with 77K original miles. The outside is beat up a bit but almost no rust. The interior is dirty but otherwise in great shape. I'm so happy to finally have a pickup so I can stop using my VW wagon as a truck. So I'm going over it, changing the oil and belt, new shocks, two new tires. Here is a link to my gallery.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=5592

But I have some questions. This is my first Ford and I need a little help figuring out what I have. It is a 2WD Lariat model with the 302 V8. How can I tell which transmission I have? I've seen references to AOD, E4OD, etc... Also, how can I tell if this thing has a limited slip or posi-traction rear end?

Any advice on finding a new (used) tailgate and/or bed? Most of the bad exterior is on the bed (banged up). The tailgate is useless.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 04-02-2005, 10:17 PM
posi or limited slip

Easiest way and most fun way is to go to your closest stop sign and power brake the sh^t out of it. If there is only one strip of rubber, you have an open differential. if 2 strips of rubber you have posi/limited slip (they are the same thing)

Old 04-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks texas94FS. I tried this yesterday but it was too wet to leave any marks. I'll give it a try one of these days.

Anyone have any comments on figuring out which transmission I have?

Thanks,
Dave

Quick Reply: Got myself a '90, have some questions