Pre-1997 Models

86 f150 running terrible...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 f150 running terrible...

its an 86 f150 fuel injected.. 302

well it all started with changing valve cover gaskets due to an immense oil leak that was being caused by the old worn out gaskets...

so i changed the right side gasket all went well... drove it around just for the fun of it to make sure it was running good... and it was... so i bring it back in change the left side slap it together... now i will do my best to desribe the sounds

at idle it sounds as if a cylinder is not firing/not firing at the appropriate time...

step on the gas to a solid rpm is sounds the same as if its not firing correctly except more violent

when you come down from reving it .. the engine stalls out
there is also just black smoke POURING out of the exhaust

i have gotten a firing order diagram from autozones website and checked time and time again for the correct pattern of the plug wires... i have also pulled the plugs and all is well
the fuel level gauge just stopped working too... however this might be a seperate problem....

i am looking for any and all suggestions pllleeeaase help!

Old 03-29-2005, 11:36 AM
A few thing to check are the obvious.

1) pinched wire under the valve cover

2) unplugged wire to temp sensor or MAP sensor

3) disconnected vacuum line

4) pinched off vacuum line

Check these and repost as to what you found.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:08 PM
well heres the latest on this truck....

it sat in the driveway over night after my post... then it was backed out in the morning (while running like crap) then just stalled...now... it will not start ... now when i go to crank it over it is making a RE RE RE RE with nothing really to it... doesn't really 'sound like it wants to go' it sounds like there is no spark kinda thing... as if the coil had been unplugged....

i have checked the following all of which seem to be fine... spark, timing, firing order, both fuel pumps, there is gas getting into the cylinders... i suspected perhaps it had become flooded from all the starting attempts... so i cleaned out the cylinders.....

as to your questions
there is nothing pinched under the valve covers what so ever and there are no broken/pinched vacuum lines anywhere

MAP sensor is plugged in
temperature sensor is plugged in

any more suggestions? any help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by 86f150xl; 03-30-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:47 PM
How old are the plug wires ?

If they are old (over 1 year) by unplugging them to do the valve covers mey have caused them to fail.

Also check cap/ rotor and then unplug coil and check that connection as it can corrode there.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:20 PM
plug wires are quite new....very little use on them... no corrosion of any nature...

cap rotor have been checked out all is well ...

checked the fuel injectors with a noid light all is well .....

Old 03-31-2005, 07:48 AM
I would check to see if the computer has set any codes. For all they cost (under $20.00) just buy the code reader at any auto parts store and it comes with a book outlining how to do the tests and what the codes mean.

Quick Reply: 86 f150 running terrible...