Pre-1997 Models

leaking fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaking fuel tank

help. I have a 1993 f-150, inline 6 with dual tanks. after the truck sits i smell gas. looked under the truck and appears that the leak is coming from the top of the front tank, near where the filler neck joins the tank. do i have to replace the tank? if so how hard is this and whwere can i find instructions?
are the replacements plastic/fiberglass?

thanks

Old 03-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd suspect the vent. No, you shouldn't have to replace the tank but you will likely have to drop it to access the problem.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Have you noticed that the rear tank is pumping fuel into the front tank? If so, there was an old recall for this problem. Most likely, the fuel pump o-ring may be leaking. However, the tank should never fill up to the bottom of the pump. Check into what I said about the rear tank. Ford made some anti drainback valves that were installed on the high pressure line of the pumps to avoid this problem. What is happened, is that the built in drainback valve has gone bad and most likely, the pump will have to be replaced. The Ford pumps will require a harness adapter kit to be installed on the factory wiring to mate up with the updated replacement fuel pumps.

Robbie

Old 03-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Cool

I had the same problem the truck was serviced in the recall and has started pumping to the front again .When I fill up I switch to the front tank and empty it first and the go to the rear tank , it is not fixed but works. Ford extened that recall to 12 years from the date vechile was put in service .

Old 08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Bit o help/clarification

"I'd suspect the vent. No, you shouldn't have to replace the tank but you will likely have to drop it to access the problem."

I think this may be my problem. I've had my 95 5.0L standard for about 4 months and this is the first time I filled it to the brim due finally taking out a loan to fill the dang tank! Anyways right away it started dripping gas out of the front center of the tank I think can't see too good. Might be the vent you suggest. I plan on taking off the bed today or tomorrow if I can prove to myself that the seam where the top and bottom halves of the tank come together isn't the problem.

If the tank is good but the 'vent' is bad what is the next step?? don't know what it looks like yet as i can't see it, hopefully i'll know more in the next day or so.

Thanks, MIKE

Old 08-04-2005, 04:40 PM
OK got the bed off, and here's the situation. The seal where the pump sending unit attaches to the tank was farmered by the prior owner. They used silicone to seal this flange as shown in the pictures. I called NAPA and they don't carry an o-ring/gasket that fits between the tank and pump flange. They said it comes with the new pump. Do I have to go to Ford for this?? Unfortunately don't have much time to get this fixed wife needs to take pick up on a 250 mile trip this weekend and need to fix tonight. So in the mean time I'll call the 'gulp' dealership. Thanks for any imput, I will be posting in the main message board to hopefully get a quick response as well, probably catch some flak in there!! but oh well have to get it fixed today.

Thanks all.
MIKE

OK CAN"T FIGURE OUT HOW TO ADD AN IMAGE I"LL TRY IN A MINUTE

Old 08-04-2005, 04:46 PM
ok here's the photo

[IMG][img=http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6946/dscn32873zq.th.jpg][/IMG]

I think!!!!

MIKE

Old 08-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Fule pump lock ring

They're not bad -- about $11 at the dealer. Your picture (from above) looks a lot nicer than mine (from below). Be careful -- the parts guy will have 2 lock rings listed - one for about $11, the other for $34. You want the $11 one (needless to say). I've got the part number at home if you need it.

Update -- p/n is E6AZ-9C385-A. The $34 part is E992-9A307-A; maybe somebody can tell us the difference.

Last edited by mfa-F150; 08-11-2005 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply: leaking fuel tank