Pre-1997 Models

Fuel Pump Stays Running

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Pump Stays Running

When I turn my truck off and take the keys completely out of the ignition, I can hear the fuel pump still running. It doesn't stay running every single time I shut the truck off but about 40% of the time. I've had this problem for about a year or so.

What I'm able to do to get it shut off is pull, what I think is some type of a relay, out a plug that is labeled "Fuel Pump" that is located under the hood by the driver's side fender well. I simply pull that plug out, the fuel pump shuts off, I plug it back in, the fuel pump stays off until I start up the truck again. Sometimes rather than pull that plug completley out I can simply wiggle it around and the pump will shut off.

I'm considering installing a toggle switch in the cab that is hard wired to the fuel pump so I can just turn the toggle switch off rather than pop the hood each time the fuel pump stays running.

Does anyone have any ideas on this problem or has anyone experienced this same issue?

Old 06-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Dude!!

Don't throw a band-aid on the problem, fix it!!!

Sounds like the fuel pump relay (the thing you have been disconnecting) is shot and the contacts are sticking. Replace the relay and your problem should go away.

It could be something else, but I bet it is just like the old sticking starter solenoid, gets stuck on and don't stop until you kill the power.

But in all seriousness, you do not want to install a switch inline to override the stock operating system, it could be very dangerous in a wreck, the pump could keep pumping gas after an accident and you and the truck could go boom and be crispified.

There is plenty of help here to get it figured out if it's not the relay.

Old 06-30-2003, 05:51 PM
Your probably right in that my toggle switch idea is a temporary solution to a long term problem.

Thanks for that "eye-opening" statement regarding an accident.

I'll replace the relay and I'll post an update in a few days.

Thanks Again!!

Old 06-30-2003, 11:56 PM
you might as well pick up the ECU relay while you are at it, both of mine went bad about the same time. they had been giving me trouble and I busted them open and cleaned them up to get me home from work one day. A couple new relays and the problem was solved.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:53 PM
being you have a 90' , have you had the ignition switch recall done on it??

Old 07-02-2003, 03:52 PM
I just picked up the Fuel Pump relay and installed it. I tried turning the inginition on several times, getting the pump to prime the system, and then shutting it off and it seems to have solved the problem so far.

Dave186 - I didn't pick up the ECU relay, what are the symptoms of that going bad?

Macgyver - I've owned the truck for about 5 years and I know that I haven't had it in to do any recalls. What is the ignition switch recall, and what were those symptoms?

Old 07-02-2003, 06:25 PM
well i had no idea there was a recall for the electrical portion of the ignition switch but i had my truck in for the "cross fuel flow" recall on sept. 11 and they also did the ignition switch recall . i never had any problems myself but i have seen some of the older ford ignition switches when turned off and all the idiot lights on the dash well stay lit, along with warning buzzers and such . i just thought that your fuel pump running after the key was off might be related to your problem and the ignition switch

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Stays Running