Pre-1997 Models

93-95 ford lightning air intake system

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 93-95 ford lightning air intake system

I am looking for an air intake system from a lightning. It has to have the dual to single tubes going to the maf tube and the air box. any body have one for sale?

Old 06-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Just an FYI:
The Lightning's didn't come stock with MAF, they all came stock as Speed Density.

Old 06-29-2003, 06:55 PM
I was bidding on one on ebay that had the y adapter,tube, maf, and air box. the guy sd it came off a 93-95 lightning. I looked at a 94 ford f150 this weekend that had the same setup. I am converting mine to maf from sd and i have the dual intake instead of the single tb.

Old 06-30-2003, 12:27 PM
SPROCKET_X is right, the Lightnings from those years were SD and had an intake with a single bore TB, not the twin version that regular F150's have (GT-40 in reverse). If you haven't learned by now, just because someone says something on e-bay, doesn't mean it is correct or true. You came to the right place for the answer.

What you want comes off a 95-96 (and a few 94) MAF F150's, it has a flanged mass air meter that bolts to the box, flex hose to a Y-adapter and two smaller precurved hoses to the TB. Should be an easy score in the salvage yards. The only other version is the one I have which is the motorsport kit which allows the use of a non-flanged mass air meter like on mustangs, the rest is the same.

There is no other advantage to the Lightning setup, the air box is the same as other F150 from that time period. Sounds like the e-bay seller is spewing bolonous!!!

Old 06-30-2003, 02:02 PM
They know of what they speak.

What you need is what my '95 has stock. You might also want to check for the Intake Air Temp Sensor as well if you're switching computers. Mass air trucks have one in the airbox.

The Lightnings all used the E4OD tranny as well. You could have one, but could have the AODE too.

Just my opinion, but the swap to mass air isn't worth it, and I say this owning a mass air truck. With a custom chip burn SD will handle just about anything you can throw at it. In theory Mass Air will adapt better to lumpy cams, blowers, etc but in reality both need a custom burned chip to handle big mods.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys you are the first that have told me more than i can get from others. I have been told that it would cost 500 to burn a chip. and I have to take them the truck to where they can "tune" the whole truck. That is why I started going toward the MAF conversion. I have a LUNATI cam 284/488 cam. They truck ran fine until I put the cam in. Now it idles up and down and will not lope like it should. I have another computer and the MAF so far. I just want to get my truck running right and have been trying for 3 months. So any help is greatly appreciated.

craig

Old 07-02-2003, 10:12 AM
what are the specs of the cam? depending on the cam, you might need mass air to get it running right. that or switch to a SD-friendly cam.

Old 07-02-2003, 11:27 AM
cgreene1,

With a really lumpy cam spec getting the idle right is a problem even for many mass air cars. Try a search in one of the Mustang forums.... try Corral.net

I think the Mustang guys can usually get it to settle down by drilling a small hole in the throttle body butterfly plate and raising the idle a little bit.

I'm sure Pkrwud will chime in soon with scoop on what the Mustang guys do to cope with it.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:31 PM
cam specs

lift intake 488 in 488 ex
duration at .050 218in 218 ex
110 lobe seperation
advertised duration 284 in 218 ex

Old 07-02-2003, 12:35 PM
You know there are a couple of other things to consider with the swap. The wiring harness is quite different between mass air and speed density, particularly the injector wiring. The standard SD has batch firing injectors, four injectors fire at a time, the mass air however is sequential, and each injector fires in the same firing order as the distributor. You can not just plug in the other computer and have it work. You will need to modify your existing harness or get one from a mass air truck. In my opinion, if you are going to make the swap, the Ford Motorsport kit is the way to go, it includes everything you need (computer, overlay harness, mass air meter, new air box and hoses) and is plug_and_play. They are getting costly because they are no longer manufacturing them, so what is left on the shelf at shops is all that's left. Another nice thing about the Ford kit is it uses a 93 Mustang AOD computer which has the more aggressive spark and fuel maps, I know this because I have had several lengthy conversations with the guy who designed it at Ford Racing, plus the code # is right on the computer. Anyway, think hard before you bite off more than you might want to chew.

One other point is that is an awful lot of duration on that cam for a truck, looks like a Mustang cam. SD doesn't like a lot of duration, that is some of your idle problem, it is hunting (up and down idle).

Old 07-02-2003, 12:45 PM
It's not that radical a cam although it may be a bit wrong for a heavy truck. The 110° lobe centers is your real problem. A mass-air engine should work OK with that cam, a speed density engine never will. They are VERY sensative to changes in MAP (manifold absolute pressure) which is what the principal control sensor measures. Typically S/D engines prefer 112-114° to run smoothly. this also tends to increase your low range torque so all-in-all not a bad thing on a truck. If you want to keep that cam, you're right to investigating the swap to mass air.

BTW what tranny do you have? It makes a difference in the conversion kit

Old 07-02-2003, 02:22 PM
I know I have to change the harness. Already have the diagrams for that. I have a E40d tranny. The reason I am not going with the ford motorsport is cost. I have the eec from a 94 mustang and the MAF. I already have the injector harness to wire into the existing harness.

Old 07-02-2003, 05:45 PM
I think you're going to have a problem. The Mustang Harness will be for a AOD-E tranny which will probably fit a 4R70W although there may be somr minor changes in the pinouts. It's not going to fit your E4OD. The harness on your present PCM isn't going to fit the MAF setup. You're going to need to find a 95-ish truck with MAF and E4OD in a junkyard to canibalize for parts or you're going to be running a lot of wire yourself.

Old 07-02-2003, 07:06 PM
I have already checked the computer hook up and my harness will work. The injector harness just has to have the jumper harness soldered in line with my existing harness. I got the harness from a guy that converted his truck over to MAF. the only thing i have to add is for the 2nd o2 sensor.

Quick Reply: 93-95 ford lightning air intake system