Pre-1997 Models

Slight problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight problems

Ok, my truck as been running on the right side normal line, like edging to hot. I want to change the antifreeze and water this weekend and would like to know best ratio of antifreeze to water. Also today i experienced something odd. I drove a few miles, being easy on it the truck was running like crap. I stop at a friends cus i was hauling ciding for him, i turn my truck off and unload it as previously it was running like crap, after unloading and visiing for a few i start my truck and it is studdering and seems like it is missing badly. What is going on guys?

Old 06-24-2003, 09:38 PM
No more than 20% anti-freeze, 80% water.

Try pulling codes.

Take care,
~Chris

Old 06-24-2003, 09:54 PM
I just got done chasing a cooling problem that turned out to be a water pump on my 302. If you do the fluid first, flush it well.

Just my .02.... but in hindsight the pump was really cheap and I wish I had just done it if nothing else to eliminate it as the problem. What I wasted in fluids would have paid for the pump, and even if it isn't the pump you will know it's out of the loop and good for another several years.

Mine was the same way...... just edging towards the outer side of the normal range.

As Chris suggested I would check the codes, but it may just be that running warmer is playing some games with your tune, as well as the EGR cycling, etc.

Old 06-24-2003, 10:23 PM
Allright, i checked my plugs which are fine. So i decided to check radiator fluid level.... holy ****, it wasn't even half full! SO i filled it up with water and let it bubble and put more in,thats probably it, because where the tube comes in from the radiator at the top of the engine, and connects to the metal spout, well, between the block and metal spout that gasget has been leaking, so, this weekend i'm going to flush and fill, and put a new gasget in. Now, how shall i flush it well enough and how much anti freeze should i put in, like a bottle of it and then top it off with water? And what brand of antifreeze, has to be green. Woo hoo, i'm a thinker!

Old 06-25-2003, 08:39 PM
I usually get a gallon of water and a gallon of antifreeze and dump each in a little at a time. It doesn't have to be precise, i like to have about 70% water to 30% coolant. Distilled water is best if your really **** about protecting your cooling system. Let it run for a few minutes with the cap off, once it starts to overflow shut the truck off and let it cool. Top off the radiator, put the cap on, overfill the resevoir a little and your ready to roll.

-Jon

Quick Reply: Slight problems