Pre-1997 Models

New Member, some newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Member, some newbie questions

Hey everyone!

Just joined, and have been spending the last few hours reading through several of the posts here. Great site!!! I'm new to the F150 world, but not to message forums.

I recently purchased a 1995 F150 XL 300 I-6 4x2 5-speed, and have been very pleased. I've had a few problems (Mostly with the clutch master cylinder), but overall the truck is very solid and dependable, exactly what I was looking for.

I have a few questions, however. Has anyone here had the plastic ring on the end of the clutch master cylinder snap? It happened on mine, which I found I had to replace the clutch master cylinder. I'm just wondering if this is a common occurance.

Secondly, the temperature gauge on the dash only functions periodically. 90% of the time it won't move at all, but sometimes (after the engine has been run for a while) it will jump up to normal temp. I'm thinking it's the coolant temperature sensor that's bad, any other thoughts?

I have been doing some routine maintenance on the truck (70,000 miles), and I bought a new PCV valve for it. I checked my Haynes manual, and the PCV valve is not where the book says it is.

Aside from the fuel filter, air filter, PCV valve, and drive belts, is there any other regualr maintenance items I should be aware of, or common areas of premature failure?

Thanks for your help, I think I have just found myself another home on the web.

Old 03-17-2003, 09:49 AM

Last edited by sunrunner_pei; 05-08-2003 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:13 PM
TF
Welcome to the board sunrunner_pei....

Let's see if I can answer any of your questions...How do the spark plugs/wires and cap and rotor look? Unless they're brand new, I would probably replace them. As far as the water temp sensor, mine went out but my water temp guage still functioned normally. In fact, I had much worse problems than a non-functioning temp gauge. My idle was very erratic, surging up and down, and after awhile, I could hardly even start my truck anymore. I thought I was having major problems and it turned out that a $30 sensor fixed it all! Any ways, I would check your thermostat, or maybe the connections to your gauge. I'm not a mechanic, but that's where I'd start.

We are pretty friendly around here. Hope you stick around.

Old 03-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the reply!!! I'll be replacing the spark plugs, plug wires, dist. cap and rotor very shortly. The truck is actually running VERY well right now. No idle or drivability problems. It seems to be lacking highway power, but that's likely due to being used to a faster car, and the 350 lbs of weight I have in the back (for traction).

Thanks again!

Old 03-17-2003, 01:45 PM
The PCV on our engine is on the very back of the valve cover, you have to feel for it but it will just pop out.

As for the temp gauge I would first change the sending unit which is located on the passenger side of the block up under the exhaust manifolds.

fordtruckworld.com get's quite a bit more traffic, but both site's are just as useful.

Old 03-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by SPROCKET_X
The PCV on our engine is on the very back of the valve cover, you have to feel for it but it will just pop out.

As for the temp gauge I would first change the sending unit which is located on the passenger side of the block up under the exhaust manifolds.

fordtruckworld.com get's quite a bit more traffic, but both site's are just as useful.
When you say on the very back of the valve cover, do you mean on the end, towards the firewall? Or on the top, towards the firewall? I'll have a look around anyways. Thanks for the help!

I've been lurking on this site for a little while now, I see no reason to go anywhere else.

Old 03-17-2003, 02:05 PM
Yes towards the firewall, a little behind the throttle body at the very end of the valve cover.

Trending Topics

Old 03-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Perfect! I'll have a look at that tonight if I get a chance!

Old 03-17-2003, 08:10 PM
I had the exact same problem with my temp. gauge and through asking around I have also found quite a few others that have had this problem. The problem in all cases was the gauge, but before you start throwing money away try a little test at a time when the gauge is not working. Unplug the temp. sensor and and stick a piece of wire in the plug from one contact to the other (jump the plug.) With the key on this should drive the gauge full hot. If it doesn't it's a faulty gauge if it does replace the sensor. Remember try this test at a time when the gauge is not working. Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Jetter
I had the exact same problem with my temp. gauge and through asking around I have also found quite a few others that have had this problem. The problem in all cases was the gauge, but before you start throwing money away try a little test at a time when the gauge is not working. Unplug the temp. sensor and and stick a piece of wire in the plug from one contact to the other (jump the plug.) With the key on this should drive the gauge full hot. If it doesn't it's a faulty gauge if it does replace the sensor. Remember try this test at a time when the gauge is not working. Hope this helps.
Thanks!!!!

Old 05-08-2003, 12:29 PM
A little update, and a thanks to all that replied!

So far I've changed the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, serpentine belt, air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, front pads, rear shoes and a ball joint. O2 sensor is next on my list.

As well, I just finished installing a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler and a set of 235/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S white-letter tires, and covered the bed with a Sport Master aluminum frame tonneau cover.

The truck is running great, starting to prep for a roll-on bedliner. I tossed out the POS plastic liner over the weekend. It was wore through, cut, and didn't fit well any more. I hope to get some pics up soon.

Edit: Pics are now up, check out my gallery.

Last edited by sunrunner_pei; 05-08-2003 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: New Member, some newbie questions