Pre-1997 Models

302 to 514 engine swap!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 302 to 514 engine swap!

OK. Let me get this out front. I want a bigger motor!!!!

I was looking at the crate motors on www.fordracing.com yesterday and decided I NEED 514 cubic inches!!!

Has anybody done anything as remotely wild as this?

Please comment.

Old 02-28-2003, 08:24 AM
What year truck? It makes a big difference.

Old 02-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by StrangeRanger
What year truck? It makes a big difference.
Duh! Where's my brain?

1995 XLT Flareside 5.0 4r70w

Old 02-28-2003, 12:30 PM
You're going to have a problem. On your truck, there's a whole lot of things like the ABS and even the speedometer that are dependant on the computer to operate. The tranny you have is also computer controlled, but it won't fit a 385 series block so it would be history anyway.

You might be able to do something creative with donor parts from a 460 EFI truck, including the processor and tranny, along with some serious reprogramming. If you want to go with a carbed 514 in your truck, I don't think you're working off the best base vehicle

If you really want to do a carbed 514, your best bet might be to pick up a pre-EFI truck and do the conversion on it

Old 02-28-2003, 04:32 PM
TF
If I were you, I would start with a mid '70's 4x4 1-ton truck originally equipped with a 460. Then, you'll have a nice, beefy tough truck to work with without all the hassles of the computer. Then, you can go crazy with the engine, tranny, and since you'll have a crazy amount of power, throw a big lift on there with some 38" meats and you're ready to do some serious mud bogging!!! Well, that's my fantasy any ways What do you need (want) all that power for any ways? Are you into street/strip racing or do you want a 4x4 that can handle large tires without breaking a sweat? Just thought I'd ask.

Old 02-28-2003, 05:08 PM
Looks to me from the picture you already have the truck, so why deviate from your existing configuration. You can get a 5.0 stroker motor that drops in place with up to 347ci or with a little more work and a few different parts you can do a 5.8 stroker up to around 427ci. Either one of those engines with the right combination of components can easily make 400+ hp. So why bother with the insane swap requirements for a big block when you can kick out the jam with a Windsor with much less hassle. If your vehicle is mass air equipt, a '95 5.0 should be, then that makes your task one step easier as it (the computer) will accomodate mods on the engine. Just another avenue to consider.

StrangeRanger is very right, what you are considering will be a GIANT pain in the *** and be very exspensive$$$$.

Old 02-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Or maybe invest in a supercharger

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2003, 10:52 PM
If wouldn't be that bad, on a lot of vehicles the abs computer can operate independantly of the ecm, even if it can't all you have to do is unplug the connector at the abs actuator, when the abs system loses power or senses a computer problem it defaults back to a regular braking system. ABS isn't great for offroading anyways.

You might run into some legal issues where you live, for instance in a lot of states you need to have all your emissions control stuff intact to get your state inspection. So you either need to find a friend that can help you out with your state inspection, or invest about $2,000 into an aftermarket fuel injection system...Holly makes a good one.

If you do find a 460 engine and trans with all the computers and wiring you could have a stroker kit put in to get you up to 509 or 514 cubic inches. Throw in some bigger injectors and your good to go. If you choose your parts carefully and know how to install the stuff yourself you can probably do it cheaper than the cost of the 514 crate engine. I'm building a full race tranny and a 500hp 351W. The windsor is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the 600hp, 514 crate so the performance will be almost as good.

-Jon

Old 02-28-2003, 11:23 PM
The nice thing about living in SC is no state inspections or emission testing.

I just want to say I did it! It really doesn't boil down to cost; it's more of a "see what I did" kinda thing.

Building a heavy nosed tire roaster could be fun. I already have a corner carver! (2001 Roush Stage 3 Mustang serial# 01-0003.)

Quick Reply: 302 to 514 engine swap!