Pre-1997 Models

Anybody running an aftermarket throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody running an aftermarket throttle body?

I thinking of buying an Edelbrock/BBK 61MM throttle body,and i was wondering if anyone has one on their truck or if they could recommend another brand name.

Thanks,
Jerry D

Old 02-25-2003, 12:27 PM
As far as I know, the Edelbrock/BBK is the only game in town. The twin 61mm is frigin' HUGE!!!! Are you sure you want to go that big?? It has the same total area of a single 86mm throttle body if one existed. How many Mustangs or Lightnings do you know running one bigger than a single 75mm? My point is that thing will flow a ridiculous amount of air, but you will sacrifice velocity at low RPM which as I'm sure you know will hurt torque. If you want gains on the top end for max HP then maybe the 61 is for you, I'm going to be using the twin 56mm on my 327 stroker. One other thing to note, you have to open up the twin intake ports of the Performer Truck intake to use the twin 61 because it is bigger than the holes provided out of the box, so there is some machining or tedious hand grinding involved as well. Unless you are shooting for 400+ hp, I really don't think its worth anymore than the 56mm unit.

Old 02-26-2003, 07:44 AM
I hear about it being huge.
I have a BBK 56mm now and its been sticking and acting real funny lately so i figured what the hell,lets go with the 61mm.

I figure i have most of the mods i need to make this 61mm work,IE heads,intake high RPM cam,75mm mass air meter,full length headers w/o cats,and 3K B&M stall convertor.

I'm gonna do alittle more research and see what i can get away with.

Old 02-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Hey Jerry,

You are the second person I've heard complaining about sticky or "stiff" throttle feel from the 56 TB. Has this been a problem since yoiu installed it? I'm not going to use something that is worse than stock, especially at that price. I figured the construction with roller bearings in the throttle plate shaft would make it smooth, what's your take since you have one?

Old 02-26-2003, 01:18 PM
It worked great when I installed it about 4 years ago.
One day I started cleaning it out because it felt like it wasn't closing all the way. So I took it apart, and ever since then it's been wacky..................?
You can tell that it's a high quality product by it's appearance. But maybe there is a flaw to it's design. Who knows maybe I got a beat product.
I think I'm gonna go with the BBK 61mm,and hopefully it will work out for me.
I can't go back to stock. I would be like putting a restrictor on my engine
What do you think?

Jerry D.

Old 02-26-2003, 10:02 PM
TF
dvldog458,

So are you mainly interested in top end power then? If so, then I would try out the 61mm tb. However, I wouldn't think a stock t.b. with a t.b. spacer would be such a bad idea. I don't know anyone who has one in a Ford, but it would be cheaper than an aftermarket t.b. and easier to install. And I think both components advertise a 5-7 hp gain. It's just a thought if the 61mm t.b. didn't work out for whatever reason.

Old 03-02-2003, 01:55 PM
I'm definetly looking for top end power.

Now you got me thinking about going back to stock w/ a TB spacer. It might be a good idea before i port my intake for thr bigger TB.

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2003, 03:26 PM
You can make a spacer with conical bores that match the manifold on one end and the T/B on the other. That gives you the greater airflow and a velocity increase into the plenum. If it works, you can pullit back off and port out the manifold.

Old 03-03-2003, 02:43 AM
TF
StrangeRanger,
I'm not sure I understand. If you made a spacer to match the manifold, why would you port it afterwards? Ideally, wouldn't you want to port the manifold, then match a spacer to the larger ports? Otherwise, the spacer would act as a restrictor plate, right?

Old 03-03-2003, 08:29 AM
The spacer is a temporary part to see if the larger T/B gives any benefit, or at least does no harm.

If the larger T/B and spacer improve performance and create no problems, then it's probably safe to go on to the next step, hogging out the manifold.

If it seems to make no difference, then you have to decide whether it's worth risking modifying the manifold which might either cause drivability problems or add performance, or both.

If the larger T/B and spacer ***'y. cause drivability problems then there's no point in modifying the manifold, things would only get worse, simply pull the whole mess off and re-install the 56mm unit.

Never modify anything you cannot undo unless you're sure it's going to work.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:03 AM
I like the spacer idea.
Now only if i could find a hunk of aluminum to make this part.

Quick Reply: Anybody running an aftermarket throttle body?