What's Your Opinion on Tithing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:26 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
The thing that bothers me is when I see a church in the lap of luxury - with the pastor living in a near-mansion and driving high end luxury cars. I'm old school, I won't associate with any churches like that or give them any money.

The Episcopal church I went to as a kid was a humble abode, so to speak. The pastor lived in a rectory at the back of the church and drove a plain Chevy Biscayne with no bells and whistles.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
The thing that bothers me is when I see a church in the lap of luxury - with the pastor living in a near-mansion and driving high end luxury cars. I'm old school, I won't associate with any churches like that or give them any money.

The Episcopal church I went to as a kid was a humble abode, so to speak. The pastor lived in a rectory at the back of the church and drove a plain Chevy Biscayne with no bells and whistles.
I think it's ok (not sin) for pastors to have nice "stuff", but on the other hand, I also believe, because of their "posture", being an influential figure in the community and church, being the face of the church, there needs to be some balance on perception (possible sin because of being held to a higher standard as a pastor and by causing someone else to stumble becuase of their lavish appearance). I do question the judgement of someone in that position that drives a car and a lives in a home that only a fraction of America could afford when the vast majority of his/her peritioners are struggling to make ends meet.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:09 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
I'm even more old school than that - almost monkish with the poverty vow. Religion has become a big business and I think that's just wrong.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Why would God care how much money you give? Caesar had tons of gold, how much do you think it cost him to get into Heaven? Here's the straight skinny guys, all of the gold and anything you hold as valuable belongs to God, it's already his and guess what, he doesn't have any need for it or he'd have it with him. Gold and money are a man made thing, not a Godly thing. Good works and taking care of his creation is what he's all about, not money. If gold were that important, being God, he'd just make more it. When your God, you can do that.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I once witnessed a Priest donating money out of his wallet into the collection pot. It seemed like he was doing it to make a show of it.

I don't know there is a right or wrong number to donate, its not the percentage big or small. If you feel like you arent donating enough, or donating too much, that is based on your financial situation, and between you and God.

Me personally, I volunteer and help with a local Boy Scout Troop. I am an Assistant Scout Master. I spend a good chunk of my free time in the program because I feel strongly about the results that the program achieves

Old 02-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Old 02-04-2015, 07:51 AM
dmp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
couple of things...
Tithing...it's silly. Sort of.

Christ was pretty clear - as we show love to the least of mankind, we're showing it to God.

You want to tithe? Find somebody in your circle and get a money order in their name, from themselves and place it in their mailbox. Never tell them you know where the money came from. Never let them have to thank you. One way to do this - mail the money order to out-of-state friends and have THEM mail to the person in need. Imagine the shock seeing an envelope post-marked from BFE containing a money order for the recipient! That's cooler than finding money in the couch. You get the pleasure of showing love/concern AND they never have to feel they owe you anything.

Give to the people you see; give as you see need. Don't take a tax deduction on it because that reduces your gift/sacrifice. Then again, I'm all for keeping money out of our big-government-stewards, so scratch that.

Take the deduction; re-give the difference.

If you attend a church - I think it's a little like iTunes. If you participate in the service GIVE to support the service.

If you attend a church PLEAD with your leadership to STOP TAKING AN OFFERING during the service. Taking an offering can be a serious turn-off for a couple reasons; least of which is having people feel guilted into giving. That's NOT giving, that's extortion of sorts. Have the leadership simply place donation boxes in the foyer and live your faith in God's providence.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what do you think about service clubs like rotary, lions club, Kiwanis and scouting that charge monthy dues.

forget about the small details like your salvation. Why is it ok for the service clubs to collect, but a church should not?

the scout building in Houston rivals many mega churches.

http://www.pgal.com/portfolio/boy-sc...-headquarters/

if your idea of giving is covering the cost of your seat, then you maybe should look a little deeper about what you really believe. maybe you should volunteer to be on the budget group at your church and see how the funds are spent.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
what do you think about service clubs like rotary, lions club, Kiwanis and scouting that charge monthy dues.

forget about the small details like your salvation. Why is it ok for the service clubs to collect, but a church should not?

if your idea of giving is covering the cost of your seat, then you maybe should look a little deeper about what you really believe. maybe you should volunteer to be on the budget group at your church and see how the funds are spent.

I have sat in budget meetings at our church and although some of the things I do agree with, some of the stuff I don't. But that's why we have budget meetings to vote and voice our opinion. Some stuff a church deems necessary may seem like trivial things to others. My wife and I have a problem when you're pressured into giving your "10 percent" out of fear. Giving out of fear is not what the Bible teaches. God loves a cheerful giver. You should give God everything you have because God gave everything He had to save us, and it is all His anyway whether you are saved or not.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE

I think people that happily give to the charities you mention above believe that they are truly doing good or have great causes and their dues are well managed, whereas, many people (even loyal churchgoers) don't have the same feeling about money going to the church.....thinking the pastor makes too much, or he/she should be a volunteer, or the funds are mishandled, etc.

Quick Reply: What's Your Opinion on Tithing?