Ford rip off of the consumer

Old 02-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
A lot more goes into MOST Ford nuts and bolts then you can acquire at the hardware. For one, I believe tensile strength or hardness levels are higher than 8's. There's quite a few 8.8's - 12.4's around the entire truck. Some nuts and bolts are pre-washered, built into that spin independently. Some are sent out to Henkel or Loctite to get pre-coated with Vibra Orange or Blue. There's quite a bit more involved. They're special purpose and it all doesn't happen at just one place.
Very good points.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
A lot more goes into MOST Ford nuts and bolts then you can acquire at the hardware. For one, I believe tensile strength or hardness levels are higher than 8's. There's quite a few 8.8's - 12.4's around the entire truck. Some nuts and bolts are pre-washered, built into that spin independently. Some are sent out to Henkel or Loctite to get pre-coated with Vibra Orange or Blue. There's quite a bit more involved. They're special purpose and it all doesn't happen at just one place.
I have to agree here too. There's much more to many (but not all) fasteners in your vehicle than most folks care to understand. Some of it can be physical properties like tensile or shear strength. (Ask the US Army about a bunch of cheap / out of spec bolts they received a few years ago that went into M1A1 Tanks. You find the tank just by following the trail of busted fasteners on the road.)

Another big difference is the finish applied to the fasteners. Automotive specs are much tougher - especially for corrosion resistance - that the stuff you'll find in your local hardware store. Sure it may look the same, but just try to loosen a hardware store fastener after a year in road salt - if it's even still there.

Finally, since most automotive fasteners are somewhat specialized in design (as noted above) and used only by the automotive manufacturers, you run into the "low volume = high price" issue. Add to that the inventory carrying costs and you have a pretty expensive fastener. Oh, and I'd be willing to bet that the fasteners you're talking about were special ordered for the customer, so add special shipping.

Make a little bit more sense now?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford rip off of the consumer