Senate Dems think illegals more important than vets

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Senate Dems think illegals more important than vets

Senate dems voted down an amendment to the budget. It would have funded vet retired and disabled vets and closed a loophole that allows illegals to get welfare. All but one dem voted against it. They keep proving again and again that to them the military is unimportant.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/18/se...fare-loophole/

Old 12-18-2013, 04:22 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm on your side - really.

The "cut" in military retirement is WAY overblown. All it's doing is cutting the annual cost of living index pay INCREASE by 1% for retired vets under 62. The way that wages everywhere else are eroding, this is no big deal, the retirement pay is definitely not going down, the annual raises are just being limited.

I'm all for closing that loophole, but this bill is NOT an attack on our military.

We (conservatives) had to compromise big time to get something that would pass the senate and be signed by the emperor in chief. For once, the libtards compromised, that's a good start.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:13 PM
While it "may" not be an attack on the military, I do not think it is that small. I have read other articles that it may cost the retirees as much as $6,000 a year. That is not peanuts. I also do not see anything that the senate is going to cut their benefits. Not 1 penny.

http://freebeacon.com/disabled-milit...n-budget-deal/

Old 12-18-2013, 06:23 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
It's not a CUT in benefits, it's a smaller RAISE each year. If it were an actual CUT, I'd be screaming as loud as you.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by glc
It's not a CUT in benefits, it's a smaller RAISE each year. If it were an actual CUT, I'd be screaming as loud as you.
Again if you cut the cost of living, that IS a benefits cut. Especially when over a couple of decades it will cost you over $100K. The cost of living raises are just that, a cost of living raise. If your raises are always below the actual cost of living expenses you will always just keep falling farther and farther behind. The cost of living raises are there to help with the extra expenses. Suppose in your work, the only raises you received were always 10-20% lower than the extra cost. You would be broke before too may years went by.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Why were Federal employees pensions not affected?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Why were Federal employees pensions not affected?
There has been a "reduction" for Federal employees. The will now have to pay a little bit more into their own retirement plan, but as far as I can find no reduction of what retirees will get.
New hires will now have to pay up to 4.4% into their retirement rather than 1.3%

Old 12-18-2013, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's still stupid that some of the worst employees in this country are gov't workers and they all get their little pensions. And regardless of what else it would affect, a well-known loophole, especially anything for illegals, should be taken care of. I'm the biggest proponent of doing as much as possible for all of our current and retired armed forces members and their families, and I pray for this/them every night, but some things I do sometimes sit down and wonder about what a "proper" amount for them to get is. But then I think about the trillions we waste on stupid sh** every day and think we should just stick it all right veterans' funds. We still don't take care of the wounded anywhere near as well as we should either.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 12-18-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Being active duty Marine Corps for 16+ years (going to 20) this does anger me. Supposedly this was a "mistake" and congress is supposed to pass an amendment canceling it. I don't belive it was a mistake for a moment. We'll see what happens in the end.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Again if you cut the cost of living, that IS a benefits cut.
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

Old 12-28-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm looking forward to our outstanding 1% pay raise too. Woo hoo! (Yes, dripping with sarcasm)

Quick Reply: Senate Dems think illegals more important than vets