This is "higher" learning

Old 06-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is "higher" learning

Harvard states that all July 4th celebrations are right wing. And here I thought it had something to do with our independence.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/was...are-right-wing

Old 06-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There is a Flag on my house and I celebrate the Fourth.
I remove my cap as Old Glory passes.
These people are out of their minds.

Am I a Republican? Ask Frank.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am an American. Happy Fourth!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Strange, I thought the reason for the celebration for the 4th of July, the Republican party was not even in existence yet....

Wouldn't that be somewhere around 1859 ( when ever Lincoln started campaigning against the Whigs ) that the GOP was formed ?

Damn Republicans, how did they plan ~ 80 years in advance of forming the party, to have the revolution start on that day, and know the colonies were going to win independence, and have something to celebrate ?

Wow, leave it to a liberal university to create a report like this...

Love this line :
Their findings also suggest that Democrats gain nothing from July 4th parades, likely a shocking result for all the Democratic politicians who march in them
Wow celebrating the fact that the democratic party exists in part due to what is being celebrated I would think would give them something to be gained....

Old 06-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow lol thats stupid

Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I have to point out that the article simply says, "A study". The two authors cited are nothing more than "Assistant Professors" - these guys are not tenured and are simply trying to find themselves in the great big University world.

Is it a "peer reviewed" study? Doesn't say so.

Are there a few conclusions that MIGHT be true? Perhaps. Are some wrong? Probably. But, please don't damn all academia on the basis of this seemingly flawed bit of research. If we stop seeking the truth through scholarly research, we adopt the attitude of the people during the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia. "The intellectuals are 'evil' - send them to the labor camps".

I don't want to see more "dumbing down" of America! Do any of you?

- Jack

Old 07-01-2011, 02:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would hardly consider myself uneducated, I actually went to, and graduated college. However, I still believe that for some people, such as the clowns that wrote this article that more education can lead to an increase in one's foolishness. Ever hear of the origin of the word sophomore?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:45 AM

Andreas Madestam and David Yanagizawa-Drott are both from Sweden, and the common thread seems to be the PhD from Stockholm University

Andreas Madestam : assistant professor in the Department of Economics at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy.

He has been writing stuff for the likes of the United Nations and Stockholm going back as far as 1997.
David Yanagizawa-Drott: Assistant Professor of Public Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School.

So we have 2 people raised in a economic environment, called as a Social Democracy, wiring a paper on hoe the 4th of July is a Republican Holiday.

David Yanagizawa-Drott finished his PhD in the past year or so, prior to this when he was applying for positions , he wrote a nice little paper :
“Watchdog or Lapdog? Media and the U.S. Government”
In this paper he accuses the US government from 1967 to 1988, by means of "strategic objectives" of under reporting human rights violations of political allies.
He worked for David Strömberg at Stockholm University, who got grants from the EU, to study how politicians acted based on the amount of media attention they got.

This paper started back in MAR-11, and the perfect timing from the Harvard Gazette for public presentation right around the holiday to what end ?

Did you read what their "research" came up with ?

one Fourth of July without rain before age 18 increases the likelihood of identifying as a Republican at age 40 by 2 percent
OK, mother nature is now in cahoots with the Republican Party.....

Here is another nice kick to the crotch in the beginning of the paper
Republicans attend Fourth of July to a greater extent and also view the holiday as more important compared to Democrats
Strange, do not recall much rain on the 4th of July when I was a kid, but I live in a blue state.
The City of Chicago & Cook county must have rain almost every year on the 4th of July...

40 pages of assumptions and calculations along with placebo regression testing to verify what the assumptions are by 2 people growing up in the environment that Sweden has.

My opinion, it is works like this that continue the dumbing down of America.

I love how Stockholm University has all sort of PhD work centered around the US, but none taking a closer look at the nanny state they live in. They think it is perfect I guess....

Old 07-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I have to point out that the article simply says, "A study". The two authors cited are nothing more than "Assistant Professors" - these guys are not tenured and are simply trying to find themselves in the great big University world.

Are there a few conclusions that MIGHT be true? Perhaps. Are some wrong? Probably. But, please don't damn all academia on the basis of this seemingly flawed bit of research. If we stop seeking the truth through scholarly research, we adopt the attitude of the people during the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia. "The intellectuals are 'evil' - send them to the labor camps".

- Jack
Agreed. These guys are just trying to make names for themselves.

1%, 2%, 3%, 4%? These are hardly staggering statistics. I wonder what the margin for error in these studies was? 5-10%?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet

- Jack
Aww Jack! You spoil all the fun!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:18 AM
It's sad they would even conduct a study like that.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dumbing down of America starts at Kindergarten. The schools are too busy teaching kids to follow their 'feelings' and sex ed instead of teaching them the 3 R's.

Anyone who has done any reading knows that Harvard was overrun by liberals and liberal internationalist thinking decades ago. Keynesianism anyone?

As for college, one of my siblings has always stated her masters degree is not much more than a certificate of attendance.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Frank S
.....<snip>.....Anyone who has done any reading knows that Harvard was overrun by liberals and liberal internationalist thinking decades ago. .....<snip>.....
Harvard is just one of the many. Seems 'those who can't do, teach', like to teach this type of doctrine.

Originally Posted by Frank S
.....<snip>....As for college, one of my siblings has always stated her masters degree is not much more than a certificate of attendance.
At least she does not think of it as a certificate of automatic pay raise

Old 07-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
OK, mother nature is now in cahoots with the Republican Party.....

Here is another nice kick to the crotch in the beginning of the paper

Strange, do not recall much rain on the 4th of July when I was a kid, but I live in a blue state.
The City of Chicago & Cook county must have rain almost every year on the 4th of July...
Scully, That's why I left Seattle. I found out it wasn't mother natures rain, it was tears from the bleeding heart liberals.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ConvertedMan
Scully, That's why I left Seattle. I found out it wasn't mother natures rain, it was tears from the bleeding heart liberals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This is "higher" learning