The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Compound Bow, or CrossBow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Compound Bow, or CrossBow?

I'm in my early 50's. about 6' tall. Have been disabled for 11 years with a back injury. Involves my lower back, affected disks are L3-L4 down to L5-S1. Had surgery at L3-L4 in Jan., 2010. Until the past three years or so haven't really been involved with anything hunting. We have some land in Burlington, West Virginia and my sister and her husband have been hunting there for years. Well my sister has anyway, he goes along. Every year she puts out her ground blind and salt licks. Throws out alot of corn, and slices up some apples and throws those out regularly. This past year I put out two feeders. For the past 2 1/2 years I've been putting up trail cameras to see what's what. Plus we have been having problems with tresspassers poaching and littering. Had two break-ins in the past. I just been really getting into it. This winter I've been researching tower blinds, and considering doing a food plot. I bought a nice Remington 870 "left hand" gun just like I had when I was a kid. But I'm affraid to shoot it because of my back. And I had a fall on my left shoulder two years ago that still bugs me. A few weeks ago I was going thru my dads closet and came accross his old Bear compound bow. Then it hit me! Now I have a plan. But my god! I started doing some research, and the compound bows today look foreign and Alien to me. What's with all this crap all over these things? I know they're sights, silencers, release handles.....I'm from the days of strap on forearm guards, strap on finger guards, and those little fuzzy ball looking string silencers. What gives with all this crap. LOL. . Ok I'm done..... Seriously thou, I'm interested in bow hunting this year. I just did a little looking to see what is available today. And it is dizzying. I just want a good basic compound bow that will be easy for me to pull and hold, and not have alot of unneccasary acc.'s on. Hopefully, I will be hunting out of an elevated blind this year. So I hope concealment and being stealth won't be an issue. Now I'm thinking about a Crossbow. Again, dizzying. I've done a search and the information is just all over the board. Do you think that going with a Crossbow would be the better plan? Cost really isn't an issue except that I don't want to break the bank. Who has suggestions? Thanks....

Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
after my shoulder surgery i used an x-bow for a year, bulky and hard to stalk with. I miss my compound and am looking forward to this season already. in your case id get an x-bow and sit. i stalk more than i should, but it works for me. That bow of your dads probably has **** for let off.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Older than dirt

Since you are almost as old as the hills of West Virginia, and not going in the right direction, and last time I remember, it gets a little chilly up there in the mts, I would suggest a cross bow. With the compound, you need to practice pulling it and that will cause you problems. The colder you are, the harder it is to pull back.

Look for a cross bow that you can pull back with some mechanical leverage.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
I agree with Harley Rider. Look for a crossbow that has some sort of crank. Check your state hunting laws. Many states have restrictions on their use. You should qualify though, because of your medical issues. I shoot a compound bow and am not real familiar with crossbows or I would make a suggestion. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tenpoint crossbows. I'm looking for my first one. I'm only 23 but, yah got to start somewhere. My buddy just bought a tenpoint (forget the model name and can't remember) very nice. Easy recoil as well shouldn't too hard on you, and they come with the optional leverage pull back gear/mechanism.

I third what harley rider mentioned as well. They're lighter to carry but having to pull back where your not 100% strong is something only you would know if your up for it, after practice of course.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Agree with harley and CJB. I would recommend the crossbow, with a crank so you don't have to manually draw it. Any reputable bow shop should be able to show you several options. Most states limit who can use a crossbow and its primarily people with physical limitations such as yours so it shouldn't be a difficult option to get.

BTW I have an 870 SuperMag and the kick is minimal on most shells, and I don't use any upgraded pad or anything like that. Even shooting 3" high velocity slugs or 3 1/2" turkey loads the kick is all confined to my shoulder, never felt anything in my back. Not sure if you plan on using buckshot, its illegal where I live so never fired it from this gun.

I mention the 870 because you may cancel those archery plans once you start looking at prices.

I would also mention, since you guys own the land rather than going from ground blinds to a stand, consider building a brush pile next time you thin out the timber and plant food plots. Easy to get in and out of, still elevated, and totally natural. Plus no one is going to steal it.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 PM
As said above, a crossbow would probably be best considering you have a back injury. fine style150 recommended a great crossbow, if I was to get a crossbow Tenpoint would be at the top of my list. If you do decide to go with the compound bow, check out Mission bows, they are made my Matthews and you can get one fully set up for about $400 brand new. Also, most of their bows are adjustable from 30-70lbs of draw weight, so you can start low and work your way up in poundage.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 PM
I bow hunt and have a bad L5-S1 disk so I'll throw in my $.02.

It all comes down to what doesn't hurt your back and is legal in your area. The crossbow with a crank is pretty much a sure thing if it is legal. On the downside, you will not have a second shot and they can be a bit clunky. I sold my Tenpoint a few years ago and haven't looked back. It was a very good bow but I preferred my compounds and it just sat in the case.

Secondly, I'd say go with a compound. They will be legal just about everywhere for most species. They are easier to use in the woods and for me seem to be more accurate and hit harder. All the strength required is in your arms, shoulders and upper back while your injuries are in your lower back. If you can stand up and move at the waist a little bit you should be good to go.

I would stay away from a crossbow without the crank. Drawing one back requires using a foot and pulling with your leg, back and arms. You will either have to bend over or sit down and pull a foot up then push against 160# or so. As you're well aware, bending over and pulling on something isn't much fun.

I'd say read the rule book then find a local shop that has an indoor range. Most any shop worth two squirts of monkey pee will let you shoot a few bows before you drop the cash on it. Take a look at Diamond Bows. They are a sub line of Bowtech and are great value for the money.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
On the downside, you will not have a second shot
What kind of deer do you have down there???!!! I'm not far from you, and I've never gotten an ethical second shot outside of managed urban hunts.

BTW I noticed your sig...I haven't seen you on Pelican Parts forum have I? Finished and sold that project but was on there a while back.

Last edited by Frankenstein81; 02-11-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 PM
I would go an find a local archery shop and try some bows and crossbows out. They might even have a decent used one. I bought my current bow, a High Country Excalibur, @ a pawn shop for $150. The bow as it was the day I bought it, would have been $500+ new.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 PM
We have white tails. But since does typically travel in a herd it is not too terribly uncommon to be able to get the biggest one and have one of the smaller ones come back. In this case having a second shot is a good thing and completely ethical. The other time I have used two shots is on a large hog, I shoot them till they stop moving. I have seen them hit the ground from a well placed shot only to jump back up and run for a while. If a hog’s feet are kicking I will most certainly throw another arrow in him to keep him down.

I go my Smokin’ Joe on Pelican but I’m not too terribly active there.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Cool

I've been doing a bit of research on the West Virginia websites about the hunting season regulations. Also, each year I download the states hunting and trapping regulations manual and Season Chart. This is what I've found thus far. "A Class "Y" or "YY" (resident, non-resident) permit allows a qualified, physically challanged person to hunt with a crossbow during the designated Archery season". I looked up the application for a class "Y" crossbow permit. On it, there are questions regarding only the hands and shoulders. Nothing to rate back injuries. It states on there something about a pinch and grip test for the hands, and a shoulder strength test. And then stating if they are permanenet and substantial, or substantial but not permanent. I guess I may have to go to my family physician. I have bi-lateral (No jokes please) Carpal Tunnel syndrum, and have had surgery in both hands. I'm sure that will qualify me. But now I need to find those records. The operations were 20 years ago, but I'm still plagued with it. Can't write for any length of time, holding stuff can be painfull. Maybe my family doc. can do these tests? So, if I can find my records I should have no problem getting the permit

Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Scarlet
I've been doing a bit of research on the West Virginia websites about the hunting season regulations. Also, each year I download the states hunting and trapping regulations manual and Season Chart. This is what I've found thus far. "A Class "Y" or "YY" (resident, non-resident) permit allows a qualified, physically challanged person to hunt with a crossbow during the designated Archery season".
Usually you can use a lesser weapon in higher seasons. By this I mean, if you can use a cross bow in archery, you can use the cross bow in shotgun, black powder and rifle season. May not be true in all states, but usually is true. The reverse is not true, meaning you can't use a rifle in shotgun or black powder etc.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Cool

Yea I looked that up too. You can in West Virginia. A bow, but not a crossbow, may be substituted for a firearm during any season for which firearms are legal except during muzzleloader firearms deer seasons. But, a class YY permit will allow me to use a crossbow during designated Archery seasons. This past season that was Sept.29-Dec.31. Which covers it all. Tommorrow I'm gonna search thru my files for whatever records I have here. Can't get started soon enough Thanks for all the info, help and suggestions..

Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 PM
If you are going to archery hunt, plan on doing it BEFORE firearms season even if archery season runs longer. I wouldn't want to bow or crossbow hunt at all during firearms season. The deer get a lot more skittish after the first day of widespread gunfire, and you won't get near as many coming within range for an effective shot.

Quick Reply: Compound Bow, or CrossBow?