The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

2wd Offroading

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd Offroading

Hey guys. Been a while since I've been on here. Simple question really. Have A/Ts on my 2wd right now and was wondering how much of a difference going to a hardcore offroad tire(superswampers) would make even with an open diffy?

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:59 AM
With an open differential not much man. I would say a slight, slight advantage in some cases, but all it takes is the one wheel to spin and your done no matter what. I wouldnt put any money into tires until you get a locker or LS.

Definately, most definately invest in a limited slip/locker if you go or plan on going off road. I have 2wd and open diff and it sucks horribly, horribly. I couldnt imagine people taking these things that far out with an open differential.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 AM
Yah you would benefit a lot more if you had a locker in the rear be better off getting one before tires...

Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 AM
^ Yeah. And a Heavy Foot. And make sure you have friends with you. Momentum is the key.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
thanks guys. Once I get a new truck within a year or two, I'm going to level this one and put a body lift, locker, and 33" swampers. Good to go then?

Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by triathlonrunner
thanks guys. Once I get a new truck within a year or two, I'm going to level this one and put a body lift, locker, and 33" swampers. Good to go then?

Thanks again.
are you gonna go with a 4x4?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
What type of "off-roading" are we talking about here? I've got a 2WD with a lift and AT's, LSD. It does decent off road, but I know its limitations. My off-roading is very minor in the difficulty category. Mostly consists of getting back to some primitive camp sites, taking loads to the county landfill, (which can get a bit extreme sometimes! ) trekking through the occasional Mid-Atlantic Nor Easter snow storm, or illegally hitting some power line trails (in my younger days).

I know my truck is mostly for looks, I'd never consider using it as a "mud truck" or anything.

Trending Topics

Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Yeah I mean you cant expect a ton out of it, as a mud truck if thats what your wanting.. With all of that done it would help.. You could have fun with it but know your limits if your not riding with friends. Or invest in a winch too, why not? Shoot that will let you really push it to the limits and know you can always get out.

But yeah youd be way better off with a limited slip and some aggressive tires, you will be really surprised to how well your truck will do with a LS compared to now, it will be a night and day difference. It does truly help and can allow more confident fun offroad in a 2wd.. shoot my last truck had limit slip and I hardly ever used 4wd when doing the offroading I did, tho sometimes i did.

Last edited by tman07f150; 02-23-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Yea I'm talking mainly mud and bad backwoods roads...nothing like big ole mud pits but decent enough.....also I'm planning on buying my grandpas 05 f150 and nope its 2wd but I dont plan to wheel with it.

thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM
^ Then I'd look into selling\trading your current truck on your local craigslist. Try to find a decent off road trail rig. I just think you'll be sorely disappointed at the performance of a 2WD for any type of recreational mudding\off roading.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4wd>2wd

Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Yeah you know, I hate to say it and you may hate to do it.. but if your getting another truck and it is a 2wd also. Sell the one you already have.

Sell your current one it will be wiser and easier, or find someone to trade with on a similar truck ya know thats 4wd.

Youll want a 4wd out of the two trucks, instead of having 2-2wds and one a regular driver and another an attempted trail rig thats 2wd. It would be the best decision, plus you can go further and do more with a 4wd if offroading it.

But shoot if you have the money and know someone with the tools, buy front axle, componets bracketry, front driveshaft, trasfer case etc and get the SAS done on current truck.. its a thought depends on your funds tho.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 PM
2wds are not bad at off roading. i went on a trail with a 2wd expo and he had to pull my @$$ out and i got 4wd. so its not all bad. sure he needs new rear tires and a mirror, long story. but he got me out. haha but if your anywhere close to a desert or dunes or anything related to that i would long travel that 1st 150 you got and keep the 2nd one for a dd. or just sell it and buy a little toyota so you can beat it to a pulp and drive it home when your done.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 PM

I had a 01 2wd screw with a lift and agressive tires that i took thru some nasty stuff and it had an open diff. I even went with a lifted jeep on 35's thru some deep muddy trails. That said I also got stuck on wet grass, with the open diff my 1 wheel drive truck couldn't move. I also got stuck in the outer banks on the beach. That's no place for a 2wd without at least ls, and even then you better keep your momentum up. for what you are doing you may get away with a selectable locker or ls with decent tires.

Just a note though, my new truck is an fx4. So you see what I decided.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Well I just went wheeling with a buddy in a ranger on 33 inch boggers and 2wd and it kept up pretty good we hit a couple feet of snow and it didn't do too bad. He had a V8 and a locker and boggers.

Quick Reply: 2wd Offroading