The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Converting my F150 into an off roader

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so what are your recommendations then? and the truck isn't a daily driver it just needs to be road legal still thats all but not necessarily the tires. So far since I don't really want to do a suspension lift is a body lift. 33 tires. Heavy duty shocks. Stock torsion bar adjustment keys. I could use information on that though.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camopaint0707
so what are your recommendations then? and the truck isn't a daily driver it just needs to be road legal still thats all but not necessarily the tires. So far since I don't really want to do a suspension lift is a body lift. 33 tires. Heavy duty shocks. Stock torsion bar adjustment keys. I could use information on that though.
on your budget i gave you my recomendation, go back and look at it.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 AM
I did and I'm doing what you said actually. I just am not sure on the torsion bar key things.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 AM
I did and I'm doing what you said actually. I just am not sure on the torsion bar key things.
DO a search on this site on How to crank your torsion bars, ive wrote one and a bunch of other people have too. Follow the steps its very easy

Old 01-14-2011, 12:10 AM
i didn't mean reply with what it is, I meant I am researching it. calm down

Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 AM
go to jc whitney website and get a free catalog and also summit.
these catalogs have lots of parts for your truck and discriptions of what the parts do and their benefits. (lockers, leveling kits)
google gear ratio chart this will show you what gears to choose for the size tire you put. this might helpful in deciding if you want to regear or not.
be careful with adjusting your tortion bars. i have not done this but have heard if you adjust too much it puts the front end under stress because front end components will not be on stock angles. parts might start wearing out faster. if you only drive on weekends may not be an issue for you.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM
ford12508, when you put a tire 4-5 inches taller than stock you are essentialy changing the gear ratio. with the mid range ratio plus taller tires you are now geared really high wich is ok for highway but when you take off from a stop the engine has to work really hard. plus you won't be able to spin those tires as easily when in thick mud. (like trying to take off from a stop in 3rd gear). when you put taller tires and regear the pinion ratio correctly your truck will be back at stock performance (best all around power and mpg) does what i'm saying make sense?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 PM
I agree with Trimble on this one... Seen him wheel the **** out the old 4.2 awhile back.. Trust him....

Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 PM
will that help to decide what torsion bar to get or what?

so I want wider not narrow tires? and I found a PA body lift kit I think I'll get. Where can I get the shocks from?

I have plenty of expierence off roading. Especially in this truck. I'm just tired of it getting abused and broken and am looking for some mild upgrades to beefen it up a bit. I really don't care how the body lift looks. This is all about performance. And alright I'll check out more about the torsion bars.
My apologies, it's just you statements such as:

"What exactly is a rear locker?"
"And its on leaf springs in the rear and not sure what the front suspension is."
"And what exactly is a torsion bar and how do I install that?"
"will that help to decide what torsion bar to get or what?"
"Not sure what the pumkin on the rear end means?"
"Well how can I go about regearing for the bigger tires?"

kind of make you stick out like a sore thumb. Not that there's anything wrong with not knowing this stuff, everybody has to start somewhere. I am by no means a hardcore wheeler but these questions and or statements are all things someone who wheels would usually know. I know I am being a bit of a **** here but don't take it personally. And i would listen to every word Trimble said to you, he speaks from actual experience.

Oh btw setting up 2 winches is a bit unnecessary at this point, plus it will take up most of not all of your budget. One should be able to get you out of pretty much anything you can get yourself into. And don't worry about regearing either at this point you don't need to and you have 4lo if you need some extra torque. I run my stock 3.73's with 37's and have more than enough power off road. I know my engine makes a little more power but your truck ways less to it's pretty close.

Finally, my advice is don't over build it before you even beat on it. Everybody always tells you to do this and that because it's not strong enough. Everybody said the stock upper control arms were to week for 37's and bunch of guys on this forum went and upgraded them. I stuck with my stockers and haven't had one issue after roughly 30,000 miles with a lift and wheeling my truck more than most. Check out my vid in my sig if you don't believe me.

Last edited by Big50; 01-14-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:26 AM
thanks for all the input everyone. But would it hurt having two winches, I mean just in case

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 AM
I wouldnt get 2 winches. It wouldnt hurt, but it isnt necessary. Personally, for the money you will have to spend to make this truck trailworthy, I would buy a cheap Jeep or Toyota and wheel the **** out of it. A Jeep or Toyota will outwheel an F150 99% of the time anyways. Plus you can find them already built up cheap, so you wont have to pick up a wrench.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:53 PM
yeah that does make a lot more sense, get an old Yota

Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM
A thousand dollars?

A minimum of $100,000 is required to make your truck off road worthy. Trust me on this one.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM
yeah thats not really a possibility

Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by f1504x42000
ford12508, when you put a tire 4-5 inches taller than stock you are essentialy changing the gear ratio. with the mid range ratio plus taller tires you are now geared really high wich is ok for highway but when you take off from a stop the engine has to work really hard. plus you won't be able to spin those tires as easily when in thick mud. (like trying to take off from a stop in 3rd gear). when you put taller tires and regear the pinion ratio correctly your truck will be back at stock performance (best all around power and mpg) does what i'm saying make sense?
I know exacly what you are saying. What I am saying is that I have 3.55 Gears in my truck, while the OP might have 4.10s. I would nee to regear well before he has too, which is why I was telling him to check the gear ratio before assuming it needs to be done. 33 or 35" tires with 4.10s really isn't too bad compared to my 32" tires with a 3.55 ratio. And as far as spinning the tires, I can go all the way through first gear on dry pavement with 32" tall 11" wide tires, I am sure no matter what he uses, he will be able to spin it.

Quick Reply: Converting my F150 into an off roader