The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Converting my F150 into an off roader

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AkChase
Personally I don't like body lifts because if not done right the bumpers look funny and I just don't feel like they are capable enough.
That winch needs to be a little bigger, go with the synthetic rope
Your truck will not have torsion bars, but coil over spring instead, just get spacers for $60 bucks or so and heavy duty shocks (I like Bilstein HD series)

-Chase
he has a 97.. they have a torsion setup in the front. and a body lift is is pretty decent if on a budget. allows larger tires which is always helpful

Old 01-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
They are good for a weekend warrior on a budget i beat the crap out of my truck and never once had an issue with it.

You need to do alittle research about your paticular truck, the frontend of the truck is torsion based suspenion. Look up torsion bar suspension and read up. Try to avoid wiki
will that help to decide what torsion bar to get or what?
Personally I don't like body lifts because if not done right the bumpers look funny and I just don't feel like they are capable enough.
Your truck will not have torsion bars, but coil over spring instead, just get spacers for $60 bucks or so and heavy duty shocks (I like Bilstein HD series)
You don't need fender flares, they look cool but they are a personal decision
I'd rhino line the rocker panels too though to protect the paint down there
I'd say 36" tires are too much, and any kind of swamper tires will suck on the road, wear prematurely, and that much tire could potentially do harm
For a stock to slightly lifted four bye I'd try 285/75/17 BFG TA/KO's can't go wrong with BFG they look good, ride well, and the three ply sidewall works wonders when aired down and can take a beating
For what you want to do like trail stuff (Like me) you want wider tires to increase traction, not narrow digging tires for mudding. You want to maximize tire surface on the ground and keep those rubbers to the road
Happy Wheeling
-Chase
so I want wider not narrow tires? and I found a PA body lift kit I think I'll get. Where can I get the shocks from?
Originally Posted by Big50
Judging by the fact you haven't had any experience wheeling I would take Trimble's advice. You may find that your not that into it and just have dumped a ton of money into it. The body lift won't go to waste if you lift it later, you can run even bigger tires later.

Body lifts can look good when done right, even if it doesn't look the best you are building this to be wheeler and will more than likely pick up some nice scratches and dents so who cars how nice it looks. You won't pick up any articulation or wheel travel but you will have some added ground clearance from the taller tires. I suggest you head over to the suspension section and do some research there. There are plenty of threads explaining torsion bars and body lifts.
I have plenty of expierence off roading. Especially in this truck. I'm just tired of it getting abused and broken and am looking for some mild upgrades to beefen it up a bit. I really don't care how the body lift looks. This is all about performance. And alright I'll check out more about the torsion bars.
Originally Posted by thorherc67
he has a 97.. they have a torsion setup in the front. and a body lift is is pretty decent if on a budget. allows larger tires which is always helpful

Old 01-13-2011, 07:15 PM
look at the tag on the pumkin of your rear end. mine says 3L55 9 75 oe 12.
the "L" means limited slip differential(this is good) if no "L" no limited slip. the 3.55 is the gear ratio. the "9.75" is the axle size.
look into the front leveling kit(tortion keys). put your 2 or 3 in boby lift and 33 or 35 in tires and have fun. if you go with 35 tires you will need to put a different gear ratio. I don't think you will need a font locker for what your doing. if you have lsd thats ok if not you could put a locker in the rear. don.t put two winches (waste of money) get a front bumper that has a hitch on it and a hitch mounted winch that can be used in the front or rear.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by f1504x42000
the "L" means limited slip differential(this is good) if no "L" no limited slip. the 3.55 is the gear ratio. the "9.75" is the axle size.
look into the front leveling kit(tortion keys). put your 2 or 3 in boby lift and 33 or 35 in tires and have fun. if you go with 35 tires you will need to put a different gear ratio. I don't think you will need a font locker for what your doing. if you have lsd thats ok if not you could put a locker in the rear. don.t put two winches (waste of money) get a front bumper that has a hitch on it and a hitch mounted winch that can be used in the front or rear.
Sorry, you have some wrong answers.

35" Tires do not require regearing, but depending on what the stock gears are, you might want to regear.

You like off roading but know nothing about the truck, no offense, but thats the level you are at. Read up a lot and learn about what you have. You will not be getting torsion bars, you already have them. The torsion keys will simply make the truck higher while using the stock suspension.

If you get a body lift and larger tires, you will not be helping the truck at all by making it stronger, you will actually be making it weaker. You will do more difficult things with a stock truck that has a couple of spacers between the body and the mounts.

If I were you and just doing trail runs, I would get wider 33 or 35" tires, no larger unless you have 4.10 gears. With numerically lower gears and larger tires, it puts more strain on the transmission.

If I were you and knew I liked off roading, I would daily driver the new truck and save up and get better parts and do a little more than a body lift and tires. Learn about the truck before you start breaking stuff, because parts are cheap, labor is not.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by camopaint0707
not for your truck. i have an 8500 lbs for my jeep. i think you need something bigger. They sat 2 times the weight of the vehicle i think.You should look at 10k or 12k winches

Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by f1504x42000
where am i supposed to look for that info? Not sure what the pumkin on the rear end means?
Originally Posted by Ford12508

35" Tires do not require regearing, but depending on what the stock gears are, you might want to regear.

You like off roading but know nothing about the truck, no offense, but thats the level you are at. Read up a lot and learn about what you have. You will not be getting torsion bars, you already have them. The torsion keys will simply make the truck higher while using the stock suspension.

If you get a body lift and larger tires, you will not be helping the truck at all by making it stronger, you will actually be making it weaker. You will do more difficult things with a stock truck that has a couple of spacers between the body and the mounts.

If I were you and just doing trail runs, I would get wider 33 or 35" tires, no larger unless you have 4.10 gears. With numerically lower gears and larger tires, it puts more strain on the transmission.

If I were you and knew I liked off roading, I would daily driver the new truck and save up and get better parts and do a little more than a body lift and tires. Learn about the truck before you start breaking stuff, because parts are cheap, labor is not.
I know how to drive off road. I just have never modified a vehicle for off roading that's all. And I probably won't regear it mostly because I'm not sure how without getting a programmer. And I have no problem installing any of the parts so I'm not worried about the labor. But how big of tires would you recommend before I would have to regear it?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 PM
sorry ford 12508 you are correct you don't HAVE to regear with 35's but if you don't the truck will lose power and mpg.

the pumkin is the middle part of the rearend.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Actually F150, normally people gear higher to save on gas, to a extent anyway.

The Pumpkin is another name for the differential and as far as regearing, you are going to have to do both the front and rear differential in order to use 4x4. If you can drive off road, good for you. It isn't too difficult unless you are able to push the vehicle, but not break anything, that takes skill.

May I ask how you plan on installing all these parts. You came into the thread and didn't know what the pumpkin or the suspension system was, but now installation isn't a problem. Are you having someone else do it?

Finally, the tires you can get while still having some movement depends on what your current gear ratio is. I have a 3.55, which some people would consider too high for driving around in a truck. My coworker has 4.10s in the same truck, so he has a quicker take off, but I can maintain higher speeds at lower RPMs when doing highway driving, so I save gas.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Actually F150, normally people gear higher to save on gas, to a extent anyway.

The Pumpkin is another name for the differential and as far as regearing, you are going to have to do both the front and rear differential in order to use 4x4. If you can drive off road, good for you. It isn't too difficult unless you are able to push the vehicle, but not break anything, that takes skill.

May I ask how you plan on installing all these parts. You came into the thread and didn't know what the pumpkin or the suspension system was, but now installation isn't a problem. Are you having someone else do it?

Finally, the tires you can get while still having some movement depends on what your current gear ratio is. I have a 3.55, which some people would consider too high for driving around in a truck. My coworker has 4.10s in the same truck, so he has a quicker take off, but I can maintain higher speeds at lower RPMs when doing highway driving, so I save gas.
Well how can I go about regearing for the bigger tires? And this truck still needs to be moderately legal for the road. And I've done all kinds of mods and stuff to my car so a body lift kit and replacing the shocks isn't too much of a labor issue for me. It's the whole regearing thing for the bigger tires and the torsion bars I don't know much about.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
what exactly are you breaking offroad?

i suggest getting a 3" body lift and some 35's and you will have a pretty capable rig. regearing isnt really necessary. just put it in 4L when you are in thick mud or need the torque for pulling some else out.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by str8t six
what exactly are you breaking offroad?

i suggest getting a 3" body lift and some 35's and you will have a pretty capable rig. regearing isnt really necessary. just put it in 4L when you are in thick mud or need the torque for pulling some else out.
Well I've gone through 6 starters off roading because it always seizes. Both wheel hubs, a few brake lines, and thats it so far.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:18 PM
You must drive through alot if water then.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:21 PM
yes quite often. Lots of creeks and stuff and muddy trails

Old 01-13-2011, 11:31 PM
you should get a suspension lift to get your starter higher off the ground.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:39 PM
You don't need fender flares, they look cool but they are a personal decision
I'd rhino line the rocker panels too though to protect the paint down there
I'd say 36" tires are too much, and any kind of swamper tires will suck on the road, wear prematurely, and that much tire could potentially do harm
For a stock to slightly lifted four bye I'd try 285/75/17 BFG TA/KO's can't go wrong with BFG they look good, ride well, and the three ply sidewall works wonders when aired down and can take a beating
For what you want to do like trail stuff (Like me) you want wider tires to increase traction, not narrow digging tires for mudding. You want to maximize tire surface on the ground and keep those rubbers to the road
Happy Wheeling
-Chase
Please please please stop replying on stuff you obviously dont know about. Your replies are filled with wrong or half true answers.

He has another truck that is a DD, so he is not limited to an allterrain tire, he can make the step to a mud terrain. My tsl's lasted me somewhere in the 35k mile ball park so they arent that bad as long as you get the radials and keep them rotated. Ive ran BFG ta ko's and they suck in practically ever situation EXCEPT dirt roads and pavement (why run an at on a NON dd truck)

Ive heard of more issues with offroading after lifting the IFS, IN ALL HONESTY the suspension lifts for these trucks dont make anything stronger, they just lift it. the same as any lift for IFS, theres no bigger components the CV axles are the same size the ball joints and tie-rods are the same size. So your idea of the stock suspension cant hold 36's is ludacris. Even after a suspension lift you are on basically a stretched out stock suspension.

TOO THE OP Ive done this, ive ran this setup both on and offroad with no issues. These other guys are talking more from a keyboard cowboy position

Quick Reply: Converting my F150 into an off roader