The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

New truck suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There TTB they hold up alright I had a 88 F-150 i ran 32's Mud terains on it (no lift) I Beat the hell out of that truck from jumping it to wheeling it to working it pulling 8000 pounds of trailor and the only thang i ever did to it was the normal matnince and a waterpump and alternator, thats allso the same type my 96 now has While it hasent been drivin as hard it hasent givin me any trouble either I wouldnt go bigger than 35's at the most but thats just me

If you do make it down let me know i want be around to much saturday (ill be in goldsboro/fremont) but sunday I should be around most the day hell if you get in early enough me and some buddies are planing on hitting up costal plains dragway friday night

Old 09-17-2010, 04:08 PM
like he said. TTB, twin traction beam. it has a center section like a SFA but two i beams with axles that move independently. they work well jumping or big dunes because they can have great wheel travel like a 2wd. they are pretty tough and i agree, no bigger than 35's. check out this site as it has good pics and good info.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech.../Dana44TTB.htm

Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 PM
TTB's have their place, whoops, dunes, desert etc they can be awesome. The do require a good deal of work to get to function really well though. The steering can be wonky and in off camber situations the side up the hill will unload and try to push you over. All of that can be improved though. Really depends on what you want to do with the truck.

For me the ttb's place was in the trash lol, and solid was the only way to go. My explorer was built for tight trails which include lots of off camber situations, rocks, clifts etc. It is also narrow enough to fit through some pretty tight situations. I run full widths and my tires run 4"s or so out side of each fender so they are my limiting factor.

The scottsdale would have the solid front axle already but it's probably a 10 bolt if the truck's a half ton. I think they have leafs in the front though so upgrading would be pretty easy. I'd still go with the bronco though and wheel it until i had all the parts gathered to put a solid axle in the front hehe

If you really want to build a ford offroad rig i'd suggest a ranger, bII, or explorer. Drop a 302 in it (really easy) and do an sas. It's a hard combo to beat. The BII if you want a short wheelbase rig something like a jeep. Ranger if you want a longer setup with bed. Explorer if you want to haul around a couple buddies. I like narrow rigs offroad though and I love my RBV's. I couldn't imagine taking a full size where I was a couple weekends ago haha

Last edited by Code; 09-18-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 PM
lol... yeah I know I could use with a smaller rig than my f150, Im glad Im getting a new pain job with everything that's happening... lol... I had scratches running all the way down the sides. But if its easy to do a SAS on a ranger, I would love to get a ranger. I like having a bed and a little cab space (so ext cab), but I don't usually haul more than 1 friend when I go offroad... in fact usually its me in my truck and my buddy in his.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Rangers that have ttb's aren't too hard to do an sas on. Mine took a long time but i was really really really lazy lol. Try to find one with a 4.0v6 though. They're great little engines that make their torque right where you want it offroad. Also if you do go with a ranger find a d35 (here's some info to help http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...ont_Axles.html ). If you do get one with a d28 hit the junk yard with 50 bucks or so and find a d35 from a 1st gen (91-94) explorer, they all have d35's. While your there pull a 8.8 from an explorer, it'll be a 31 spline unit and depending on years disk

Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 PM
I Did a little mudding today ended up burying the truck took a full size snatching 6 times to get me rolling and also broke the 30,000 pound ****** rope twice... lol

Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by 77mud
I Did a little mudding today ended up burying the truck took a full size snatching 6 times to get me rolling and also broke the 30,000 pound ****** rope twice... lol
Heck yeah bro! Breakin that bad boy back in after you get it back

Old 09-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Yea man!!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Glad to hear the truck is getting all perttied up again!! you need to get yourself a Ranger!

I LOVED my old 00'

OR my other rig at the time:

98' TJ

I was lucky enough to have both of them at the same time while I was stationed in Germany.. I regret selling the Ranger almost every day! I LOVE the 150, but the Ranger was MUCH more fun offroad!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Both rigs had a 4" SL and a 3" BL with 35's and 4.56 gears. Both were 4.0 v6's the TJ being the I6 and the Ranger being the OHV.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey man. I though I replied already... guess I forgot... That's a sick ranger man! You said you had them both when you were stationed in germany? How'd you get a ranger in germany? But that's got to be my favorite ranger. Ive seen pics of it before from another site maybe or a really old post. But man I love that ranger lol...

Oh yeah and I got my truck back a week and half ago! I got it back before that but there were several issues with it. They fixed them. What's weird is I feel like it sits higher up front now than it did before the wreck. They welded a new frame on from the front seats forward. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it? I took off my toolbox and bought a used extang trifecta tonneau cover and I went from 14.5 to over 18.5 mpg =D I don't think my tool box is going back on as long as I'm commuting lol. And yes I was driving more cautious than my grandmother and didn't use the AC on the highway... but hey, I got 18.5mpg and it was cold out, so Im good with that

Last edited by wingman4; 10-20-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Quick Reply: New truck suggestions