The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

How often do you use 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-1999, 06:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink How often do you use 4x4?

Just wanted to know if you 4x4 peaole felt like the 4x4 was worth the money.
When off roading aren't you worried about scratching your baby?

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L reg cab
4x2 120" Wheelbase
4 wheel disc brakes/ABS
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador Red/Silver
3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)
Sherwood 35x2 RMS amp for components.
Jensen 50x2 RMS for subs.
2 6.5" Bazooka tubes
Lowering shackles?
Columbia SC

Old 09-16-1999, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I use 4 wheel drive once in awhile. I really don't do it that much, but when I do I make it count (usally takes me about 4 hours to get all the mud off). As far as scratches go, I usally just stay to open fields, I really don't get into the brush. Although one time I did scratch up the side off my truck once, and that was when my friend stuck his Z-71 back off in a hard to get place (he was literally stuck in Lake Arlington, the lake was really low last year). I know my truck is built Ford tough after that experience.

------------------
Arlington Texas,(DFW) member of Fordified.
Stone Cold, Black 98 Styleside S/C F150 4x4 0RP 5.4 3.55ls Magnum bug shield, Grizzly roll bar,
2 Baja lights, 4 165 watt KC lights (fun to play with on weekends), Manik grille guard,Westin step bars,Sonic aluminum treadplate 36" tool box, Flowmaster dual exhaust, K/N air filter, 265/75/16 BFG AT/S, American Racing Baja wheels, a F150 Online sticker, and a Stone Cold sticker on the front windshield.
. More to come for Stone Cold: Ramsey winch will be on it real soon (hopefully), 2 more KC lights, Rancho shocks. If you would like to see pics, email me at mudder46@hotmail.com or see pics at http://members.aol.com/polokid54/fpic.html

Old 09-17-1999, 02:38 PM
Unhappy

I use to go out once or twice a month. I've cut down alot because I'm waiting to get some Mud Terrain BFG's. About 6 months ago, I had a bad encounter with some bad brush. My buddy with his '96 F-150 4x4 and I were following a couple s-10's and a blazer up this trail. The higher we went up this mountain, the narrower and more aggressive it got, with 3 foot deep ruts that you had to straddle, and an added inconvenience of it all being layered in snow. Needless to say, the chevy's had problems. Two out of the three made it, so that last one backed down and parked it off to the side. My buddy gave it a try, but was unsuccessful, probably due to the fact he had a 5-speed and no limited slip. He just kept falling into the deep ruts. Next up was me. I was slipping around with my stock tires pretty good, but I held it steady and powered up it first try. Towards the top, the trail got extremely narrow, with dry brush hanging over. I wasn't about to stop and back down over the deep ruts, so I plowed right threw. Hearing the screeeeeeeching on the sides gave me a sick feeling inside. But coming back down gave me instant gradification. After washing my truck, the damage was reveiled and painful. I took my truck into the dealer, and got them to power buff them out. Cost about $100. Most of the scratches were removed, but some were to deep to buff out. Now I always have seconds thoughts before flying up a trail. To answer your second question, taking the entertainment value into consideration, I personally think it's definitely worth the money.

------------------
'98 F-150 XLT Reg. Cab Flareside 4x4, Black, 5.4l, 3.55LS, tow package, K&N, GTS headlight covers, Alpine changer w/FM mod, Clifford alarm system w/keyless entry & starter disable // Future considerations: 285/75/r16 Mud Terrain BFG's, bed mat, tonneau cover, suspension lift.

[This message has been edited by fordification (edited 09-17-1999).]

Old 09-17-1999, 02:48 PM
I've used mine mainly in the winter. I've never had it off-road (on purpose anyway) and if I do, it won't be on any tight trails. I love having it because of the looks and opportunity for a lift, tires, and the whole deal. It comes in handy in nasty situations. I don't think I'll ever go back to a 2WD.

BTW: 54regcab, where do you work/what do you do? My career advisor in college told me that's what I was qualified for when I graduated.
------------------
1998 F-150 XLT 4x4, Regular Cab, Short-Bed, 4.6L V-8, 5-Speed, 3.55 Rear Gears, Dark Toreador Red

[This message has been edited by gearjammer (edited 09-17-1999).]

Old 09-18-1999, 12:02 AM
Arrow

See "where is your truck parked from 9to5" in general discussion.
Me and the wife own a TV shop.

Old 09-20-1999, 09:06 AM
I'll check it out. Just got back in town, so I have a lot to catch up on.

------------------
1998 F-150 XLT 4x4, Regular Cab, Short-Bed, 4.6L V-8, 5-Speed, 3.55 Rear Gears, Dark Toreador Red

Old 09-20-1999, 07:26 PM
I used mine 3 or 4 times a week until August when I moved to a new college. I have only used it three times in the last month but hunting season is coming back and I look forward to it. I have only one major scratch that won't come out. For tree limb scratches I buff most of them out when ever I wash it which is about twice a year. I have got to get some more aggressive tires but they are pricy if you can find them for the 17 inch wheel and this spring I will be mounting warns new 9500i winch on the front. BTW my previous truck was a 79 F-150 with 3" of lift 33" mudgrips and short wheel base. It was more capable than this one mainly due to the tires and short wheelbase. I don't miss the 8 mpg with the 4 barrel sitting on top of the high performance cammed 351M. OK back to the new trucks, mine has been extremely reliable offroad.

------------------
1997 4x4 5.4 ORP XLT extended cab Dark Toreador red Westin nerf bars tint HARDER THAN A ROCK AND FASTER THAN A HEART BEAT

Trending Topics

Old 09-24-1999, 05:54 PM
I use my 4x4 camping a couple of times a year in the summer. In the winter is use it to be one of the first ones on the hill to go snowboarding. (When there is strict chain requirements). I have found that my f150 just wont go ,(I wont take it), into tight places. I don't want to scratch it all up. I'm now thinking of getting a beater Jeep to crawl with.

------------------
99 4x4 XLT supercab 5.4L Flareside, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Med. Graphite w/Captain Chairs, Pioneer DEP-4000, Tint, K&N, Bedliner, 3" Catback w/3 Chamber Flowmaster, 285/75/16 BFG A/T on American Racing Python wheels

Old 09-26-1999, 09:22 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
54regcab,

I use mine when it is necessary. Of road it is a God send. I don't worry about srcatches except when the frame bends and the fenders get pushed up into the doors.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
On Order: 00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd
using: Wife'S 99 Explorer till arrival

[This message has been edited by JMC (edited 09-26-1999).]

Old 10-06-1999, 11:20 AM
I own a 91 f150 4x4 and I do not think I will ever own a 2wd. I go offroad about 1-2 times a wk.over the last 4 yr. I have owned 2 brand new trucks a 97 f150 and a 99 d1500 and both of those went off road a lot with no resulting damage. it is deffinitely worth the extra money to me. I think that you just have to make good judgement calls when you take your baby offroad.

Old 10-06-1999, 10:34 PM
I use the 4x4 a few times a month usually. Sometimes more. It's usefull when at the boat ramp and the ramp is covered in algae (low tide). I see a lot of people in 4x2's spinning and having guys hopping up and down in the bed, etc. Also sometimes I like to just wander around the woods looking for a good fishing hole or try to catch a glimpse of some wildlife. Also have used it to get around on hunting leases. That saves a lot of leg-work. Even made money with the 4x4 recently. A neighbor had a row of god-aweful bushes he wanted removed. I dug and cut and pulled on the first one for 1/2hr. then said O.K., got the chains and truck out and finished off about 50 ft. of them in no time. The stories could go on but yes I definitely think the 4x4 option is worth it. I wouldn't have a truck without it. To me it makes a truck an even more useful tool.

1998 F-150 4x4 ORP regular cab 5.4 Moonlight Blue

Old 10-07-1999, 01:10 AM
I drive my truck to work 60 miles round trip and was starting to think, why the hell didnt I just get a 4x2?? But the few times a year I need the 4x4 I am dang glad I have it. I went elk hunting this past week and was very glad to have it. Though I wish I had mud terrains instead of the all terrain Big O s I have!! Dang street tires worthless in the mud.. .02

------------------
J Randall
elktag1az@aol.com
Arizona F150 4x4 SC '97

Old 10-07-1999, 07:30 AM
Cool

I use mine alot. I live on Lake Lanier and launch my boat atleast 4 days a week. The ramp that I launch on is very steep and long so I use the 4X4 to pull it out. I also use the 4 wheel drive at my dads farm on the weekend. Deer hunting and just playing. Yes I do take it off road and it has a couple of scratches on it but hey, Ford sells new ones every day. If it gets old, I will buy another one.

Triton

------------------
White 1999 F150 4X4 XLT Regular Cab, 5.4L Short bed, 373 Rear, Towing & Off Road Pkg, 6 Disk CD, Keyless Entry

Mods Include : Superchip, Flowmaster exhaust, Smittybilt Chrome bed rails and nerf bars, Full window tint,
K&N filter, Ventshade window deflectors, Line-X bedliner. Triton boats tag on front - BASS sticker in rear glass

Old 10-07-1999, 07:37 AM
Question

Does acceleration suffer much with 4x4?
How much extra is 4x4?
You guys have a lot of fun off roading.
Sounds like a blast.

Old 10-07-1999, 09:22 AM
howdy: i use the 4x4 mostly for getting to hidden trout streams, or hunting grounds. but also the occasional 18 inch snows that we get in wis.
probably wouldn't need it but i like it. also i think trucks look better when their tall. although i've seen some downright "nasty" looking hot rod trucks.
btw 54reg acceleration wise, the otherday i managed to totally embarass a guy in an 80's style camaro with my v6. his 305 just got toasted. gas mileage is usually worse but oh well. i bought a 2wd isuzu once just for gas mileage...didn't last long.

------------------
'97 f150 rc, flair side,4x4,v6,5 spd, k&n air filter

Quick Reply: How often do you use 4x4?