The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Tow Straps

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I picked up a few D rings based on advise here, and they sure come in handy. I have not towed anyone out yet, but we got a 10 ton 4x4 lift stuck in the mud and we used the hydraulics on the lift to pull itself out. I threw one end of the tow strap around a tree and used a D ring on the other to connect it to the lift.

Now that I think about it, I pulled a snow plow out this past winter, and used the d ring. I like the looks of that receive hitch D ring. Right now I have a receiver tow hook.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input, it sure is helping me! I'm liking al the ideas!!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by greencrew
I picked up a few D rings based on advise here, and they sure come in handy. I have not towed anyone out yet, but we got a 10 ton 4x4 lift stuck in the mud and we used the hydraulics on the lift to pull itself out. I threw one end of the tow strap around a tree and used a D ring on the other to connect it to the lift.

Now that I think about it, I pulled a snow plow out this past winter, and used the d ring. I like the looks of that receive hitch D ring. Right now I have a receiver tow hook.
^^ thats similar to what i have, instead its a shackle that you can open then slide the loop in and close back up. but it just slides into a receiver.

I have a hitch welded to the frame and that slides in there. Ive got to get another hitch for the back since i ripped the reese right off the back...

Old 03-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
Ive got to get another hitch for the back since i ripped the reese right off the back...
Wow. I can't say I've ever done that. we don't do that much pullin here in the city. I guess I need a strap for occasional use.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by greencrew
Wow. I can't say I've ever done that. we don't do that much pullin here in the city. I guess I need a strap for occasional use.
Yeah i bought the hitch from Reese. Put it on my truck nice and tight.

Pulled a bunch of people out of a hole then a few weeks later my stepdad burried his Jeep so i went to pull him out. I had to yank on it (not really hard just lightly) and the brackets that hold the hitch to the frame bent and sheered the bolts right off. I sent it back to reese and they gave me double my money back. I bought it on a x-mas sale so it was half off, they gave me the full price back and appologized greatly.

Im meaning to get another one just havent had time. Im thinking of just welding up something myself. I dont tow all that often and i need something that will take a beating IF my truck does get stuff. Which im sure it will eventually. Ill just have to find something deep enough to do it.

I wish i had pictures of it and when it happened probably the funniest thing ive ever seen.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 PM
I had to yank on it (not really hard just lightly) and the brackets that hold the hitch to the frame bent and sheered the bolts right off.
i must say, that has been one thing that ive always been scared of. haha

as far as chains go, ive seen a ford ranger snap a logging chain. pieces went everywhere.

i had a tow hook that fit in the hitch receiver once, straightened that out.

i had a strap with hooks on it for my four wheeler. i was the one getting pulled out, thought the strap was secure to the other four wheeler. it slipped and came back smacking me in the chest and cracked a rib. this was a 25' strap attached to a 4 wheeler.

just sayin, offroad recovery can be dangerous so take all the precautions you can.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:10 PM
we use ROPE at work for pulling trees down. well this rope is LONG im not even gonna make a geuss on how long it is. Lets say we pull down pine trees and we have to be far enough away so the dont hit the truck.

ill make a geuss of about 100' of rope that our contract manager brought in.

well we were pulling out a pine stump that was rotted all to hell. i tied the rope up in a slip not so it would tighten around the tree. Well it cut straight though the bark and rotten core and securely synched the piece of lightered pine, when that piece of pine snapped it shot about 125' back the other way and would have hit the truck if it stayed on coarse. instead my supervisor saw it pass the d-side widow... all we could do was laugh.

Even if it would have hit the truck everyone would have been safe since we use flat bed trucks, it would just have hit the strong metal bed.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I have taken a liken to 3/8 log chains
I have broken one rope,four tow straps and one chain but i just put in a fix link in the chain
And when the chain broke it didn't go anywhere it just fell to the ground and was tugging a stump out of the ground, I have heard the story about chains and straps breaking but never seen any broken windshields or falling pieces myself.
chains are about 75 bucks with hooks

Old 03-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by RathF150
I have taken a liken to 3/8 log chains
I have broken one rope,four tow straps and one chain but i just put in a fix link in the chain
And when the chain broke it didn't go anywhere it just fell to the ground and was tugging a stump out of the ground, I have heard the story about chains and straps breaking but never seen any broken windshields or falling pieces myself.
chains are about 75 bucks with hooks
I launched a chain and mail box post over my truck one day and I will never use a chain ever again to pull on something with my truck or any piece of equimpment. I look at it this way chains are used to tie down loads and heavy equipment on semi's and recovery straps are used to recover equipment and vehicles.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:32 PM
you can safely use chains (MOST DONT THOUGH) but i perfer to use my ****** strap.

The ****** strap i have will not break for what im using it for. Ive seen tow straps with metal ends go though grills, chains go all the way though a tailgate.

Hell ive even seen a ****** strape come off a hitch ball and hit a trucks rear window and crack it.

Ive also used tow boat rope, that stuff works GREAT but gets really heavy when wet and muddy.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I have used chains many times safely and succesfully to recover vehicles and equipment. Its just after watching a chain headed over my truck in my rear view with a post attached to it made me rethink what I use and how I use it.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:03 AM
ok guys i got down to the shop to take pictures of the build and remeber this thread.

So i took some pictures of the D-link hitch i got.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:22 AM
ok guys i got down to the shop to take pictures of the build and remeber this thread.

So i took some pictures of the D-link hitch i got.

I really need to spend the money on one of those. I currently have a D-ring that I am using to attach the recovery strap to the other vehicle after I have wrapped the recovery strap through my tow hook or around the trailer hitch.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
I really need to spend the money on one of those. I currently have a D-ring that I am using to attach the recovery strap to the other vehicle after I have wrapped the recovery strap through my tow hook or around the trailer hitch.
yeah i used to do that then i decided to go a different route. and came up with the hitch welded to the front and the d-ring shackle.

What i like about it is once its on the strap isnt coming off. You dont need anyone holding the strap till you get it tight.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i picked up like a 50' strap that 18 wheelers use to tie down their loads at a pawn shop for five bucks lol.

ive pulled atleast a dozen people out at the beach with it.

v6 power!

Quick Reply: Tow Straps