A4WD front drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A4WD front drive shaft

Is it OK to remove the front drive shaft from a A4WD Expedition? I would like to keep it out for a while if possible. Will this affect the transfer case or any of the traction sensing electronics?

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2002, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are 2 half shafts on the front end of these 4x4's and I believe that a spindle goes throught the front hub so I don't think you can take the half shafts off and still drive.

smoeone please correct me if I am wrong!

Old 08-10-2002, 04:27 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think he means the Shaft between the T-case and the front Differential.. Why do you want to remove it?

JMC

Old 08-11-2002, 12:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know why you'd want to....?? Just curious why?

Not too tough to do... From the 2001 service manual...

Driveshaft — Front

Removal and Installation

1. WARNING:
The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the rear jack storage area. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

With the vehicle in neutral, raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to «Section 100-02».

2. Remove the front driveshaft shield.

3. Index-mark the front flange (4782) and pinion flange.

Repeat for the rear flange (4866) and transfer case flange.

4. Remove the four bolts retaining the rear flange to the transfer case.

5. Remove the four bolts retaining the front flange to the pinion flange.

6. Remove the front driveshaft (4A376).

7. CAUTION:
If new bolts to retain the driveshaft to the axle and the driveshaft to the transfer case are not available, coat the threads of the original bolts with Threadlock and Sealer EOAZ-19554-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSK-M2G351-A5.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

As for the electronics, it'll probably be unaffected until the rear wheels slip. Then, once it tries to engage the transfer case and doesn't see a change in wheel speed, it'll probably throw up a fault code for the 4wd. It should reset itself the next time you try and use it, though... (I think... not positive).

-Joe-

Quick Reply: A4WD front drive shaft