Eaton electric locker

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eaton electric locker

I can't beleive no one has posted about this yet. I read about it in 4Wheel & Offroad (April 2002, page 104) about a week ago but forgot to post it. The main picture for it is a newer Ford Supercrew wading through some nasty looking water/mud.

Eaton has a new elctric locker out that might be ideal for some of us. Several OEM's have electric lockers (Toyota) and the new H2 is factory equipped with this elocker but there are very few electric lockers in the aftermarket, at least like this.
Eaton's is a new design, it actuates with an electromagnetic ball-ramp mechanism. That according to the magazine should be very tough. It only has two wires coming out of the diff, power and ground. Since it has the eletromagnetic locking mechanism there are no solenoids, motors, shift forks or cables to break. Even ARB's have air selas the wear out or you can break an air line, but how hard is it to fix a wire that is snapped into.
They have a one in a 85 GMC 3/4 w/ a 9 1/2 14 bolt gm axle as a test. So far they said it has held up great.The first to be released was the popular GM axles (14, 12,10 bolt) then Ford's and Dana 44's and 60's to follow. Given the time frame they should be out or dang close to it.

Old 03-25-2002, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that has been posted before. Last time i checked (about a month ago), there weren't any prices available yet, at least not online. I would love to have one.

-Jon

Quick Reply: Eaton electric locker