Just got my Mag-Hytec differential cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2000, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just got my Mag-Hytec differential cover

I received my new Mag-Hytec cover today. What a trick piece! It's very well thought out. Excellent fit and finish. It comes with all stainless hardware. The drain plug, dipstick and fluid level reference plugs are all stainless and have O-ring seals. The cover also is sealed by an O-ring that is seated in a machined groove in the gasket surface. The only thing you would have to use any kind of sealant on is the threaded port for the temperature sending unit, if you choose to run one. It comes with a plug in place from the manufacturer. No gaskets, no silicon. The drain plug and dipstick both have magnets embedded in them to catch and hold all the nasties floating around in there. They even give you the Allen wrenches to install it! Plus, it looks cool too! I'm impressed. And I'm not an easy one to please. Of course I filled it with fresh LE 607 and a bottle of friction modifier. I just hate they don't have a tranny pan for the 4R70W yet. You can bet, as soon as they do I'll have one on the way!
Oh yeah, www.Mag-Hytec.com

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto, 4.10's, Magnacharger supercharger, Superchip, Gibson single cat-back, 80/100w German head lamps, Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount, Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries, Torsion bars cranked up 2.5 turns. Needs one more door.

Old 09-14-2000, 06:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Man,those are cool lookin! better check to
see if it's still there every morning.

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
Hoping for deliverance from door crack hell.

Old 09-15-2000, 01:45 AM
98FWORD,
I agree, the Mag-Hytec parts are 1st Class! Unfortunately, Roy is just starting development of the 9.75" covers. They pretty much all the features I would want in an ideal world for a diff cover.
Why not go ahead an install the temp sensor? Also, if you haven't already, you might consider adding a trans temp gauge. I did the trans temp first (Autometer Electric), and am in the process of adding the temp sensor to the diff. The etra temp sensor, at the local speed shop, cost me $10.
I will be switching between the 2 sensors to one gauge. If you are interested, I'll foreward you the wiring diagram I used: Of course, with the caveat that you install at your own risk, since I don't know your technical level. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Tony

------------------
97 F150, 5.4l, E4OD, Towing Package, and every option except leather seats

Old 09-18-2000, 11:19 AM
F150Tony,

I have considered temp sensors and guages for both the tranny and differential. I used to tow a boat that weighed about 2000 pounds. I've since sold that money toilet. I hardly ever pull much of a load with it now. I do know that since I put the Mag-Hytec cover on I am now able to make a long run and afterwards put my hand on it and hold it there. Where before, it would get uncomfortable to keep my hand on the cover much quicker. There is a definite difference in the operating temperature with the Mag-Hytec cover on there. I'm not worried about an overheating problem in my differential now. One of the bearing races that came out of my rear differential when I had the gears changed had a chunk missing out of the bearing surface. I don't know what the cause of that failure was for sure. It looked like it might have been a peice of trash or the race itself may have been defective. One thing is for certain though, there were no signs of excessive heat on the bearings or ring and pinion. And that's with the lube that it came with from the factory, the stock cover and 19K miles. Being that there wasn't any overheating problems with that setup, I don't worry a bit with the superior lubricating qualities of the LE 607 and the addition of the Mag-Hytec cover with larger fluid capacity, better cooling and magnets to keep the nasties from causing problems.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto, 4.10's, Mag-Hytec diff. cover, Magnacharger supercharger, Superchip, Gibson single cat-back, 80/100w German head lamps, Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount, Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries, Torsion bars cranked up 2.5 turns. Needs one more door.

Old 03-21-2001, 05:29 PM
I don't have a sway bar on my truck but, they give a word of caution in the instructions addressing this issue.

"There may be clearance problems between your Mag-Hytec cover and other vehicle systems (specifically some sway bars). It may be necessary to install spacers or shims to lower the sway bar".

The sway bar would have to be pretty close to the stock cover for it to cause a clearance problem with the Mag-Hytec cover. It does protrude a little farther than the stock one, but not that much. As I said earlier, I don't have one on my truck. So, I couldn't tell you for sure.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto, 4.10's, Mag-Hytec diff. cover, Magnacharger supercharger, K&N FIPK, Superchip, Gibson single cat-back, 80/100w German head lamps, 80w amber fog lamps, Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount, Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries, 285/75R16 Goodyear MT/R's, 16x8 Center Line Hell Cats (JUNK WHEELS), Rancho RSX shocks, B&M deep aluminum trans pan, Rhino bedliner. Needs one more door.
http://hometown.aol.com/ninetyeightfword

Old 03-22-2001, 12:07 AM
Question

OK, the Mag-Hytec rear diff cover seems like the way to go. OK, here's a question:

Will I still be able to mount a Hellwig rear stabilizer bar with the new larger Mag-Hytecdifferential cover? Anybody have these two (Hellwig + Mag-Hytec) together?

------------------
1999 4X4SC, F250 Light Duty, 5.4L (replaced with new 5.4L 04/11/00 due to oil leak)
4R100 also replaced with reman on 02/07/01 due to hard 3-4 downshift.
3.73LS
Gibson Sweptside
K&N
Bilsteins
Flip Chip

Old 03-22-2001, 10:56 AM
Question

The rear anti-sway bar goes in front of the axle; shouldn't be a problem. This is not the case on the OEM rear anti-sway bar on the Expedition (it mounts behind).

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
K&N F.I.P.K. w/Outwears pre-filter, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s,
Mobil 1, K&N oil filter.

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2001, 11:02 AM
Talking

Thanks,

I have a call into Hellwig as well to verify.

Thanks again.

------------------
1999 4X4SC, F250 Light Duty, 5.4L (replaced with new 5.4L 04/11/00 due to oil leak)
4R100 also replaced with reman on 02/07/01 due to hard 3-4 downshift.
3.73LS
Gibson Sweptside
K&N
Bilsteins
Flip Chip

Quick Reply: Just got my Mag-Hytec differential cover