'92 F-150 4WD now not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '92 F-150 4WD now not engaging

Guess my '92's an "oldie." My pushbutton 4WD (auto hubs) is not engaging (5L,EAOD). This is my first problem in 8+ years (I typically engage/disengage 4WD bi-monthly to keep drivetrain lubed). I still have the typical, momentary voltage drop on the voltmeter (and relays click) when I press the 4WD Hi button - so the solenoid is aparently getting power (but not doing anything with it) - and there is no typical "engaging clunk" and it follows hubs/axles are not engaged. 4WD low has no response either. Any expert troubleshooting ideas out there??? *BTW* this seems like a GREAT info group I noted that nobody's flaming anyone - cool! Thanks for your help!

------------------
D. Grimes
'92 F-150 4x4 Flareside

Old 01-14-2001, 01:07 AM
Try the low tech trick for these first: Tap on the selector motor mounted on the back of the transfer case with a hammer. Don't destroy it, just a couple good taps. Really.

Old 01-15-2001, 11:10 PM
Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Granpa:
Try the low tech trick for these first: Tap on the selector motor mounted on the back of the transfer case with a hammer. Don't destroy it, just a couple good taps. Really. </font>
Thank you for tip will try this week. Spent W.E. at a SOCAL Jeeping event, had repairs and cleanup related to that - no time for the truck... Sure like manual hubs and t-cases better... DRG

Old 02-04-2001, 01:30 AM
Thumbs up

Granpa:

Thanks for your post. I finally got a chance to get under the truck and opened and lubed the selector motor rotary switches and reseated the connector. Also gave the motor casing the suggested restrained hammer taps.
*** All of above did the the trick!!! Many thanks.

D. Grimes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Granpa:
Try the low tech trick for these first: Tap on the selector motor mounted on the back of the transfer case with a hammer. Don't destroy it, just a couple good taps. Really. </font>

Quick Reply: '92 F-150 4WD now not engaging