Smog laws vs. gear changes???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Smog laws vs. gear changes???

A mechanic I know said that I could be in trouble later with CA smog laws if I change from 3.55's to 4.10's. He said that some counties are starting to go to a "3rd" stage of testing--dyno-ing vehicles to figure out the hypothetical MPG. Supposedly, this has already been started in some SoCal areas already. His point was that theoretically, if your ride didn't pass the 'MPG' standards because of alterations, your vehicle would be failed. Have you guys heard anything like this?

Old 12-26-2000, 04:26 PM
as far as I know, there is no law in California that requires your vehicle to achieve a certain number of miles per gallon. All the smog laws are aimed at "emissons", not mileage! We can get vehicles from the factory with differing gear ratios, right? I think your friend is reaching on this one (hope so anyway!) Could he possibly cite some references for this claim?

Wouldn't surprise me for the California smog folks to try some other lame trick like this, but I do hope this is all unfounded hype.

------------------
-JonC-
*Silver 2000 4x2 F150 Supercab
*4.6L Triton V8
*BFG 285/75/16 AT KO's
*16 x 8 Panther Custom 108's
*K&N GenII FIPK
*Custom Cat-back w/ Flowmaster 50 Series
*Fabtech 6.5" "Ultimate" suspension lift
*Smittybilt nerf bars
*Extang Black Max soft tonneau
*Stull billet grille
*Clear corners
*tint/vent visors/air deflector
(no, I did NOT get stuck in
the accessory dept. at K-Mart!)

Old 12-26-2000, 05:14 PM
I don't see this guy except once a year at Xmas, at a friend's house. He said they're starting a test program in Marin County on certain vehicles, and he mentioned a couple counties in SCal (he thought that down there they're already past the test stage), but I can't remember which ones. I'll try to find out.

Quick Reply: Smog laws vs. gear changes???