Power Steering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Pump?

Had to create a new profile because my other one is locked out and won't let me reset the password. I have a 2008 F150 Lariat 5.4. I only drive it back and forth to work for the most part. For the last couple weeks, I noticed that my steering was getting difficult. I have isolated it down to the following.
  • I have checked the fluid. It was just below the min line the first time I looked. I topped it off, but the symptoms did not improve at all.
  • I do not hear anything that sounds like a belt squealing.
  • It is much worse once it is warmed up. When cold, it works pretty well, but is still a little noisier than normal. I can turn the wheel normally with one hand.
After it warms up
  • It is much worse when the engine is idling. It takes a good amount of strength to turn the wheel. At anything above idle, it still mostly works, but it screams really loud, like a circular saw cutting through wood. It is only slightly difficult.
I am thinking it is the pump, but I wanted to get some input before I went and bought a new one to make sure that is all it is.

Thank you.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It does sound like a failing pump. Have you tried changing the fluid to see if that helps?

Old 01-07-2020, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I added some fluid, but I have not tried flushing it yet. I have never in my life had to change power steering fluid, even on vehicles with 400k plus miles. Is that a likely cause, or just a long shot?

Old 01-10-2020, 08:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably a long shot but cheaper than a pump is the reason I mentioned it. You probably need a pump.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump?