switching to and from 4 low

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 04:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question switching to and from 4 low

I have a 2001 xlt 4x4 ex cab 5.4l opr, tow package w 3.55 gers and the stick on the floor to control the 4x4. My dad has a 97 f250 powerstroke and told me that when I go from 4 low to 2 wd i need to back up 10 feet to disengage the 4x4. I saw the info in his manual. I asked my dealer and he knew nothing about that. I also read my owners manual like a book, cover to cover(what a bore!!). It said nothing. All it said was when switching from 2 to 4 low or 4 low to 2 put the vehicle in neutral and move the lever in the desired position until the light goes out or comes on and you hear the engauge or disengauge. Well...... which is it I'm confused. If ne1 knows could you please let me know. I'd hate to screw up my truck>

Thanks
Don

Old 09-26-2001, 07:19 AM
Hey dbenney,

I think your dad is right. I have always done the same on every four wheel drive truck I've ever owned. "Now a days", four wheel drive trucks have a light on the dash or somewhere obvious to let you know when your front drive is engaged. You need to ensure that the light goes out after switching from 4x4 to 4x2. Sometimes it happens without backing up but most of the time it doesn't. I think when you back up, it allows the gear train to go from being loaded to unloaded and that gives the gears the slack they need to disengage.

Also, my truck came with a seperate manual for 4 wheeling. Don't know if that was the manual you read cover to cover.

My $0.02

Good Luck
DaveMan

Old 09-26-2001, 07:39 AM
Your F-150 does not need to be backed up.

The reason older/other trucks required that is because they were equipped with automatic locking hubs which required you to backup to disengage them.

The '97 and newer F-150 trucks do not have locking hubs. Instead, there's a vacuum powered motor that disengages a clutch between the right front wheel and the differential. In effect, it splits the front drive shaft so you don't have any tire scrubbing when turning in 2H. The left wheel stays engaged all the time and turns the front drive shaft. It has to do this to allow the transfer case to engage in 4H at speeds up to 55 mph.

Old 09-26-2001, 07:50 AM
don't need to backup

just put 'er in neutral with foot on brake and move lever from 4 low to 2 hi or 2hi to 4 lo

Old 09-26-2001, 05:07 PM
them's old tapes man . . no need to back up anymore . . .

Old 09-26-2001, 09:34 PM
Dennis

I thought the manual said only engage the 4H at speeds OVER 55 mph......DOH! Speeds under 55 mph would greatly increase the opportunity to use my 4x4.....

Quick Reply: switching to and from 4 low