4X4 Problems Transfer case / vacuum system

Old 10-25-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4X4 Problems Transfer case / vacuum system

I have a 2014 FX4 8" lift on 37's, I have been having issues with the 4X4 for a while now but recently things have been ugly... First issue is the axles not releasing, I have replaced the IWE solenoid, the actuators are fairly new and working as far as I can tell, I have used a hand vacuum pump to verify that the lines are good, and even took the actuators out to verify the proper operation and to see that there was no water. As far as geometry with the lift it is essentially a 2" leveling kit and should have no problems with that. Everything that is supposed to happen is happening except the release of the axles. Any ideas? Also the transfer case seems to be shot. I believe due to the locked axles it fails to shift drive positions almost every time, when shifting back to 2X4 it says delayed and asks to pull up, when in drive the truck wont move till a God awful winding sound progressively gets worse and slams into position. While driving a constant rattle sound can be heard with the windows down. The only light or warning in any of this is the delayed shift message.
Sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 11-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Have you figured out what the problem was. I’m having the same problem with the same truck. Minus the lift and tires

Old 11-12-2019, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by gray8dane
Have you figured out what the problem was. I’m having the same problem with the same truck. Minus the lift and tires
So I took it to a Ford dealer and paid $110 for them to tell me nothing was wrong.... After that I sold the truck and bought a Jeep before it got any worse. I suggest you do the same! Incompetent mechanics that Ford apparently employs won’t be much help. I hate to be like that just speaking from personal experience with this truck and other Ford products such as my wife’s Escape. They are **** poorly designed and the mechanics are useless. But again, just my experience.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:57 PM
Cheers brother. Thanks. To bad for your luck. I’m not ready to give up on this truck just yet. I bought it second hand for a great price with low kms.
I also hate dealing with mechanics, they’re all the same. My dad and brother are both certified mechanics and I just was sniffing around to see if I could learn anymore info before they start taking things apart

Old 04-03-2020, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by gray8dane
Cheers brother. Thanks. To bad for your luck. I’m not ready to give up on this truck just yet. I bought it second hand for a great price with low kms.
I also hate dealing with mechanics, they’re all the same. My dad and brother are both certified mechanics and I just was sniffing around to see if I could learn anymore info before they start taking things apart
The problem seems to be mechanical. Please let me know when you know the reason.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:50 AM
Persistence

After I discovered the truck wasn’t shifting into 4L. I just kept trying to put it into 4L over the next few weeks. And sure enough each time the truck would go into 4L not exactly smooth every time. But it eventually got smoother. Now it will go into 4L no problem. I guess I needed some exercise!

Old 04-25-2020, 12:28 PM
Hello, new here! Thought I would post my problem & see if I can get my truck fixed. I have a 2013 F-150 FX4 & I have a problem with the left front wheel not disengaging from the axle while in 2wd. This all started last winter when it got really cold (below 0 deg.) the left front wheel would make a grinding noise. Eventually it kept getting worse until it happens all the time now. The only time its not grinding is if its in 4wd. I've replaced the IWE actuator twice & the wheel hub once. All vacuum lines & actuator are holding vacuum just fine, around 20"hg. (check with a vacuum pump) & the engine is pulling about the same vacuum. I'm not sure where to go next. My thoughts are the gear on the axle may have moved.(highly unlikely) or the spindle has been bent. (also unlikely) We do have some serious potholes around here tho. I know I could just disconnect it & go on, but I like for things to work as they should. I'm **** that way. Any help would be very much appreciated.

p.s. This forum has helped me many times already. Good work guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4X4 Problems Transfer case / vacuum system