Yet Another 4.6 Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet Another 4.6 Question

I know you guys have posted a lot about 4.6 engines and rather or not they are interchangeable, what years will work where, etc. and I have read a lot of them carefully!! However, I still can't decide if the answer to my question is straight in my own mind or not.

So, here it is: I have a 2003 Expedition with the 4.6 engine and it has to be replaced. What engine will work for me? Does it have to be a 2003 engine or will other years work? If so, what parts should I expect to have to swap from my old engine to the replacement?

I know you guys have talked about this a whole bunch, but I don't want to spend a lot of money and time just to find out that what I have done is completely wrong and useless.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Old 10-24-2017, 03:36 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You should be able to use any 4.6 2 valve engine out there, but the best compatibility would be one out of a 2001-2003 Expy or F-150. Earlier ones had a lot less power, make sure the one you get has "PI" (power improved) heads. Later ones should be fine, but note that they will have an electronic throttle instead of a mechanical one.

You can use car engines, but they would probably require you to reuse your manifolds.

There may be some differences such as sensor locations, oil filter mounting, and front accessories.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks!!

I have been searching for an engine for a while now and wasn't having any luck finding exactly what I needed. However, almost immediately after starting this I found an almost exact match out of another 03 Expedition that had been wrecked on the rear end. Hopefully that means it will be mostly "plug-n-play"! Still, I appreciate the time you took to answer my question. Thanks!!

Old 10-25-2017, 10:15 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If it's out of another 03 Expy, it will be plug and play unless it's a 5.4. If it's a 5.4 it's not too hard a swap.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...wap-notes.html