weird noise from driver hub

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey yall, I'm having a problem figuring out where a noise is coming from therefore don't know what the issue is.
I drive an 05 stx 4.6 2wd.
When I'm driving slow (less than 20) there is no noise, or it's so quite that i can't hear it. Around 45 it's noticeable but still not loud. But when i hit anything above 70, it sounds like I'm rolling on 44 swampers.
I have just regular street tires so i know that's not it.

Now what iv done to "fix" the problem. Iv looked extensively at everything in the wheel well to see if anything is rubbing, couldn't find anything. So i replaced my hub bearing. It helped a little bit but i think that was just my wishful thinking.

If yall could help me figure this out, id be greatly appreciated!

P.s, I'm using my phone for this thread and it won't let me search to see if this has already been covered in another thread.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:01 AM
Have the tire checked to see if a belt broke / shifted inside the tire. Or rotate the tires and see if the problem moves with the tire.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by 04fxdwgi
Have the tire checked to see if a belt broke / shifted inside the tire. Or rotate the tires and see if the problem moves with the tire.
Ight ill try that when i get of work today

Old 01-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Is this coming from the rear or the front? How many miles? Could it be pinion bearings?

Old 01-11-2014, 02:40 AM
you say it's a 2wd, maybe your problem is in the drive shaft / universals

is there any vibration in the steering ?
how are the tires wearing ?

my wifes car would vibrate at high speeds and I could not find the problem even had tire shop check balance of the tires, were supposed to do a high speed check on them. one day while heading down the hwy at about 65mph the tread separated. ohya the shop bought that one.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:32 PM
So i rotated the tires, slightly solved it. The noise is still there but slightly quieter, and still on the front driver side. i highly doubt it's the tires bc it barely solved anything and they are wearing evenly.

There is a slight vibration in the stearing wheel but im pretty sure it's just coming from the road.

What would the drive shaft have to do with anything? It's a straying related issue?

Pinion bearing in the front of a 2wd? I'm pretty sure there isn't one... If I'm wrong though, where is it?

What else could this be?!

Last edited by cowboyup324; 01-12-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
No pinion bearing in the front of a 2wd.

Quick Reply: weird noise from driver hub