Very hard pull

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very hard pull

Follow up to my recent work done...
Before service, truck pulled pretty hard to right. Alignments never seemed to compensate. Had new steering rack and pump installed, another alignment, steering is great but truck still pulls hard right. I do have Toyo M/Ts, I'll rotate and have em rebalanced, thinking maybe either front right is worn more, or balance is off, maybe threw a weight? If not, what are some other causes? I do need new pads and rotors up front, maybe front right is grabbing more? There's nothing lose, no cluncking or any strange sounds for that matter. I have a 2.5" HBS level on it with the M/Ts, new upper control arms and all new ball joints...really hope it's something simple like tire off balance, worn or brakes...One other possibility I just realized, could it be slop in lower u-joint on steering shaft?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My old truck pulled to the left when the caliper had seized/fried and wore the pad down. Driving straight it never messed with anything, but coasting it would slowly guide the truck left.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine did the same in the past, -until it was aligned correctly. They're suppose to toe in slightly more on the right. You can see this looking straight on with one aligned to spec. As long as the truck sits high enough in front to see the difference and on a flat, -like say a garage floor. That's to counter road crown @ 2 percent. Average crown = 2 percent/Slope or fall = 2 tenths per 10' and about 1/3 bubble with a good Johnson wooden 4' level.

I suggest an alignment at another shop if it isn't anything else mentioned above, with the other members posts.

BTW- Alignment specs can be found online.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, thanks so much for all the input. It's possible the alignments is off, but 2 times was done at Ford dealer, once at tire shop. I wouldn't think the dealer would screw it up, then again??? I will be doing the pads and rotors soon, and I'll rotate the tires, maybe that'll fix her. Crown could be an issue...They are 33/12.5/18 Toyo MTs mounted on the narrow stock 5 spoke rims...

Quick Reply: Very hard pull