rear axle leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear axle leak

i thought my cover was leaking so i went to check fluid level and found leak coming from the seal where drive shaft goes in, this would be the pinion seal correct??? whats involved in this, if the entire rear has to come apart it's going to have to go in the shop for that - about how much should i expect to pay for that.

oh ya- could not get fill plug out by hand, is it safe to use an impact or not to remove filler plug.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FF301
i thought my cover was leaking so i went to check fluid level and found leak coming from the seal where drive shaft goes in, this would be the pinion seal correct??? whats involved in this, if the entire rear has to come apart it's going to have to go in the shop for that - about how much should i expect to pay for that.

oh ya- could not get fill plug out by hand, is it safe to use an impact or not to remove filler plug.
best to get the fill plug out 1st. other wise repairing it would be futile. unless you have the speed sensor on the top...you maybe can refill from there...but you wouldn't be able to tell if it was filled to correct level.

as far as what is involved...depends...is it making weird noises, if no maybe you could just replace the seal, but that still would require dropping the drive shaft and removing the yoke, if memory serves, the yoke is the harder item. needs a certain torque on reassembly. & you'll need to be aware if your rear end has limited slip or not.

if it is making funny/weird noises...then might as well rebuild it completely. if this is the case...now would be the time to consider any gearing changes/upgrades

might try searching youtube on the subject

Old 03-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting the yoke off is the hardest part. Need an air gun or a big pry bar to break loose the nut that holds the yoke to pinion. take it to a shop an see if they can get it loose,,,, the fill nut. Mine came undone pretty easy,,,, not say yours should to.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:27 PM
I changed my rear pinion seal with a screw driver and a rubber mallet. I think we're talking about the same part here. The seal where the rear drive shaft goes into the rear differential? I just got a new seal from the dealership for $20, pried the old one out with a screw driver, and put the new one in with a rubber mallet and I was good to go. I didn't have to disassemble anything, just took the rear end of the rear driveshaft off

Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I was told (after getting my plugs changed) that my rear pinion seal was leaking. I need to change my rear axle fluid anyway. What are the exact parts/tools necessary for this operation? It's cold and I don't feel like guessing on socket sizes or anything lol. Also definitely would like to know if anyone has run into any issues?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 PM
PHGFX4- do a search on the pinion seal. It may take awhile but there are a few good threads that describe the process. The video where the guy does his chevy truck is a good one to watch. Be sure to understand the process because you can mess up your differential by doing incorrectly. My 2001 Supercrew with a 9.75" LS differential needed a 12 point 12 mm socket to remove the U-joint flange. I needed a punch, a wheel puller (a medium large one), and my pinion shaft was held on with a 1 1/8" nut. I also used some lock-tite for reassembly, grease for the seal, and gear oil for the splines on the shaft. My pinion nut only took about 100 ft lbs to break loose but that was hard to do laying on the driveway - you may want to use an air ratchet.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM
thanks, i'll do some more searching on the subject. i was trying to figure out how to got the seal replaced so assume it is done from out side. yes- i have the air tools.

thanks for the help

Quick Reply: rear axle leak