97 F-150 rear axle seals & squeaky front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TwinSparXR,
I have a 98 F1504x4 w/ 66000k on it and just put rear seals and shoes on last week, as for the squeak can you make it do it with the front of the truck jacked up in the air and move the tire by hand?

------------------
98 f150 4.6 auto 4x4 supercab-short box/bright red & black/6 disk cd changer/ dynomax cat back/k&n fipk/super chip/lund taillight covers/clear corner lens/factory fog lamps/pace edwards box cover/ultra wheels/LT265-75-16 BFG/ westin nerf bars/steel horse billit grill & bumper insert/reflex shocks/bosch plat. plus 4/accel wires/auto start/skidoo summit 700 high mark/FORD DEALERSHIP

Old 09-24-2000, 07:40 PM
summitman- I cannot get it to do it jacked up or by shaking the wheels or by forcing the truck up and down. It will only do it while driving. By the way my truck only has 60,000mls not 600,000. oops

[This message has been edited by TwinSparXR (edited 09-24-2000).]

Old 09-25-2000, 12:55 AM
Question 97 F-150 rear axle seals & squeaky front end

I have a 97 F-150 4x4 with 600,000 mls on it.
I just replaced the rear seals on the rear dif. and also had to replace the brake shoes. Is this a comon problem with this many miles?
I also have an anoying squeak coming from the frontend whenever I hit a small or large bump going slow or fast.

Old 09-25-2000, 04:14 AM
welcome to the squeeky front end club.My truck does it to.Had the dealer look at it-They insisted it was the left rear leaf spring.so they replaced them(still under warranty)Still squeeks-I even crawled under my truck with a can of lithium grease and went beserk on all moving parts-for nothing-still squeeks.Haven't had time to get it back in to the dealer yet.others have had this problem with different things curing the problem.Common solutions are new ball joint ends,new upper a arm.A few of the people in here also get a squeeke from their torsion bars and there is not much you can do to make that go away.

------------------
-----------------------
2000 f150 4x4 sport,black, 3.55 5spd ,4.2 liters of fury ------mods----pioneer cd,alpine sub,cadence ultradrive amps,alpine mids&tweets,Delta tool box,class III reciever hitch,herculiner bed liner,taz floor mats,profile bug guard,custom painted tail light covers,headlight covers,cranked torsion bars,pirelli scorpion at(265/75 16), modified air box(crash1 style),JET air filter

www.lightningcrashz@hotmail.com

Old 10-11-2000, 10:46 PM
Smile

I have that squeaking noise too but it happens when I trun the wheel. I'm going to have the truck checked tomorrow so I'll let you know what I find out.
Good luck & keep us posted! Bye!

------------------
If you can't beat 'em, you're NOT driving a FORD!

'97 F150 XLT ORP 4X4
4.6L/auto/power EVERYTHING,
nerf bars, 17" wheels, fog lights, trailer hitch w/electrical connector, front tow hooks, bed rail caps,
6 CD changer, lumbar support & 3 cow license plates - so far!
I'll fill in the rest as I get to know the truck better BUT it's big, it's pretty & best of all - IT'S A FORD! He's SO cute!

Old 10-12-2000, 02:31 AM

Front end squeaks here as well.Just started about 1000 miles ago.Turning the wheels at stop or slow speed makes a loud squeak.Doesn't sound serious,just annoying and a bit imbarassing when there are other F-150's in ear shot.
At just over 58,000 miles ('97 F-150 4.2L) I started with a Power steering fluid change.Turned the wheel to the left,no squeek!!!(Big SMILE)Turned the wheel to the right,same old squeek.Very confusing.The noise seems to be confined to the right side but I haven't yet had the time to get a good look.I'd take it to a dealer but I have this fear of the service tech throwing parts at the problem that I just don't need.
Beautiful weather for fall in Minnesota so in the morning I'll crawl under there with the grease gun and see what I come up with.(Not a lot of optimism though I'm afraid).

Old 10-19-2000, 11:33 PM
Question

I have an 1997 Ford F-150 King Cab 4x4 4.6L with 57000 miles on it. I have had a loud screaching and squeeking when I turn the wheels. I thought it was the Power Steering pump. I took it to the dealer today and they told me that they had to put these special listeners on it to determine where it was coming from. They told me that the Pitman Arm was bad an needed replacement. I paid ~40 for the pitman arm and ~265 in labor. It still makes a noise when the wheel turns but not the loud screaching and squeeking. It just so happened that the guy who sold it to me (I went to high school with him) said that he has seen at least one other 1997 F-150 with the same problem but he did not know what it was. I am interested in hearing from other folks who may have had the problem. I take good care of my truck and I do not use the FWD very often. In other words I do not ragg it out. But it seems to me that the Pitman Arm should not fail after 57000 miles, it should be good for the life of the car. Also I had the front brakes done at 30K and at 57K. They still had good pad. However both times the Rotors could not be turned. I figure that the rotors should be good for at least 2-3 turnings before they would not be able to be turned. Does anyone have any info on this?
Vince

Trending Topics

Old 10-20-2000, 09:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I Had the pitman arm sqeek also. I checked it for slop and found none. So, I poked a small hole into the boot and squirted white lithium grease into it. I haven't heard a noise in 15,000 miles.

------------------
97 XLT S/C Long Bed 2wd, 4.6 Romeo, 4R70W Trans., 3.55 LS, 195,000 miles

Old 10-24-2000, 02:41 PM
I have had both squeaks...the turning squeak was solved with a new pitman arm at around 33k miles, it has now returned lightly at about 44k miles. As for the bouncing up and down squeak I solved mine with a squirt bottle full of brake fluid on the rubber bushings, etc. under the front end. (makes the rubber nice and shiny, too--be sure to wipe off the excess.)

------------------
*97 F-150 supercab XLT
*Christian fish on tailgate
*4.6 v-8
*summit white
*grey interior
*Blaupunkt cd tuner and infinity speakers
*AFD est. 1897 fire department sticker on back window
*diamond tread tool box
*receiver hitch
*factory bedliner
*K&N Filtercharger
*well's cargo landscape trailer usually attached(trailer jacknife dent on bumper...oops)

Old 10-24-2000, 02:42 PM
I have had both squeaks...the turning squeak was solved with a new pitman arm at around 33k miles, it has now returned lightly at about 44k miles. As for the bouncing up and down squeak I solved mine with a squirt bottle full of brake fluid on the rubber bushings, etc. under the front end. (makes the rubber nice and shiny, too--be sure to wipe off the excess.)

------------------
*97 F-150 supercab XLT
*Christian fish on tailgate
*4.6 v-8
*summit white
*grey interior
*Blaupunkt cd tuner and infinity speakers
*AFD est. 1897 fire department sticker on back window
*diamond tread tool box
*receiver hitch
*factory bedliner
*K&N Filtercharger
*well's cargo landscape trailer usually attached(trailer jacknife dent on bumper...oops)

Old 10-25-2000, 08:17 AM
Fordonfire - Did you get the improved Pitman Arm with the grease fitting? After I greased my ungreasable joint, its been OK, but know its just a matter of time before I'll have to change it out. Supposedly and improved arm is available. If it was warranty work for you, well, you get what they put on.

Vmax66 - Not King Cab, that's a Nissan! It's SuperCab!
About the rotors, it depends how warped they were, and the honesty of the people doing the work. One of mine came out just above the minumum after turning to remove warp, so next time I'll have to replace it if it needs turning again. The other one had quite a bit above the min left, so it may be in better shape. The only way to know for sure is to turn it to remove the warp, and then check the thickness against the min number cast onto the back of the disc (min is in millimeters).
Warpage of the front disks has been a bit of a problem on these trucks, at least the 97's.

Not trying to make you feel bad, but the labor price you paid ($265!) for replacing a Pitman Arm has just about convinced me to open up "Granpa's Pitman Arm Garage". I would suggest that you not go back there again. They seem to be having a problem with 1 or more of the 10 commandments.

[This message has been edited by Granpa (edited 10-25-2000).]

Quick Reply: 97 F-150 rear axle seals & squeaky front end