4.6L 2v: Stroked or blown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6L 2v: Stroked or blown?

Hey guys,
So, have done tons of google searches, searches on here and other forums, and all over mustang forums too, tryin to decide whether I wanna stroke my 4.6 to a 5.0 or throw a s/c on it. Not to confident in the shops around me to open up my heads so a stroked mod would be worth it, although, I would much rather that than any kind of forced induction if I can help it, not to mention that some of the other people who stroked their motors are claiming over 400hp, if thats true, I wanna know if there's any kind of setup with a s/c that could put up those numbers... But, I have been finding that prices are pretty equivalent too, I know its really all about what I want to do, but I was hoping to get some feedback from people who probably (definitely) know a lot more than me about this, thanks everyone!!!All input is def welcome on this, Im about 6 months out from taking it on
J

Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Anyone know someone who has done this?
J

Old 10-06-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
why not do both

Old 10-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
why not do both
Agreed!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hanginten24
Anyone know someone who has done this?
J
You might call Crower cams (They have strokers), they could likely tell you the goods on each

Old 10-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
why not do both

I wish dude, thats a long wait to save up that much dough for me to do that though, haha! Thanks for the input man

Old 10-07-2011, 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Agreed!
I agree as well!!! Just gotta rob a bank or something, I cant wait that long!!! Thanks for the input!

Trending Topics

Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I wish dude, thats a long wait to save up that much dough for me to do that though, haha! Thanks for the input man
what do you mean? stroker kits for the 4.6 are cheap and plentiful, superchargers aren't that hard to gather up either

Old 10-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Hey guys,
So, have done tons of google searches, searches on here and other forums, and all over mustang forums too, tryin to decide whether I wanna stroke my 4.6 to a 5.0 or throw a s/c on it. Not to confident in the shops around me to open up my heads so a stroked mod would be worth it, although, I would much rather that than any kind of forced induction if I can help it, not to mention that some of the other people who stroked their motors are claiming over 400hp, if thats true, I wanna know if there's any kind of setup with a s/c that could put up those numbers... But, I have been finding that prices are pretty equivalent too, I know its really all about what I want to do, but I was hoping to get some feedback from people who probably (definitely) know a lot more than me about this, thanks everyone!!!All input is def welcome on this, Im about 6 months out from taking it on
J
if you have an 08 like your tag says then im in the same boat seeing i have an 07 looking to do the same thing. i been doing a ton of looking around but found a few problems. 1. in the 4.6 in our trucks are the same motor as the Mustang GTs from 99-04 but front assories are different but not that bad to where a trip to the salvage yard couldnt net you everything you need for cheap. now with that in mind you could in theroy bolt a roots style blower on our truck like a Kenne Bell or Whipple and then just deal with the T-body issue, (wire pull VS drive by wire) wich i have an idea on how to fix as long as you can cut an weld some metal plate.

The easiest way to do it with out haveing to change anything on you motor is the stroker kit. its a direct bolt in but labor intensive. the good thing is that our heads are also the same as the mustang GTs and Trickflow makes nice top end kits for them minus the intake so thats anouther option. Stroker kit, with trickflow heads and stage 1 cams for more low end should also bolt on with out any major probs. just remember to re use the stock truck intake.

Now for the the baddest of all options is a full blown motor wich would be a

5.1 stroker bottom end, ported trickflow heads with stage 2 cams, and a Kenne Bell blower to top it off. easy 550+ HP

Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by stangbanger856
if you have an 08 like your tag says then im in the same boat seeing i have an 07 looking to do the same thing. i been doing a ton of looking around but found a few problems. 1. in the 4.6 in our trucks are the same motor as the Mustang GTs from 99-04 but front assories are different but not that bad to where a trip to the salvage yard couldnt net you everything you need for cheap. now with that in mind you could in theroy bolt a roots style blower on our truck like a Kenne Bell or Whipple and then just deal with the T-body issue, (wire pull VS drive by wire) wich i have an idea on how to fix as long as you can cut an weld some metal plate.

The easiest way to do it with out haveing to change anything on you motor is the stroker kit. its a direct bolt in but labor intensive. the good thing is that our heads are also the same as the mustang GTs and Trickflow makes nice top end kits for them minus the intake so thats anouther option. Stroker kit, with trickflow heads and stage 1 cams for more low end should also bolt on with out any major probs. just remember to re use the stock truck intake.

Now for the the baddest of all options is a full blown motor wich would be a

5.1 stroker bottom end, ported trickflow heads with stage 2 cams, and a Kenne Bell blower to top it off. easy 550+ HP
As far as the throttle body issue, are you thinking pull wire to keep it simple after welding?? Im not the best welder, btw.. Do you think, for now, that I will get any gain out of the trickflow cylinder heads and my rousch intake? I know it would be better to go back to stock if I add the cams, but do you think ill be OK with just the heads upgraded? Thanks for the help man, glad Im not the only one out here with these issue!! haha, appreciate it

Old 10-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Sooo... talked to teh guys at modmaxracing.com, gave me a quote for a kit that includes EVERYTHING, crank, rods, pistons, and rings for $2325.00, best price so far, just dont know when I would have time in the near future to do the install, its my daily driver :-/ But, there you go!!

Quick Reply: 4.6L 2v: Stroked or blown?