Axle slop/clunking - 2004 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle slop/clunking - 2004 Lightning

When I drive over uneven bumps at a slow speed I've been noticing a clunking in the rear that's been getting worse. I can rock the bed above the rear wheel and make the clunking sound. I can also grab the wheel and rock it and make the clunking sound. The brakes are original and have 58,000 miles on them. I noticed the calipers are a little loose, but I had a co-worker hold the caliper while I rocked the bed and it still made the clunking sound. Stopped by a Ford dealer and had a tech let me show him how I could make the sound and the first thing he said was all rear ends have a little side to side play but said it might be the backlash or bearing. Figured I'd get a second opinion on here what it might be. Wish it was something simple that could be tightened up easily like the front wheel bearing with a nut or just the old brakes just needing replaced but I never get that lucky. I've always had problems with Ford rears, I don't get it, I thought Ford had strong rear ends? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone on another forum mentioned something about a loose center pin in the carrier twisting in it's bore do to casting flaw/wear and making a slow speed hollow clunk. Does this sound right?

Quick Reply: Axle slop/clunking - 2004 Lightning